This position is at the National Credit Union Administration (NCUA) in the, Office of Chief Information Officer. This position will be a developmental position serving as an IT Specialist (Network Services) starting at the CU-11 level with promotion potential to the CU-13 .
Learn more about this agency
At the full performance level (CU-13) as an IT Specialist (Network Services), you will:
Perform a variety of system administrative duties associated with the installation, implementation, configuration and maintenance of Unified Communications & Collaboration (UCC) system hardware and the associated secure video teleconferencing services, endpoints, Commercial Off the Shelf (COTS) software. This will include the following:
- Procure and manage UCC system hardware, related software, technology-based communication solutions and the associated technical services.
- Build and deploy user endpoints (Laptops and/or mobile devices) leveraging secure baselines
- Provide technical support for non-standard NCUA's video teleconferencing services (WebEx, Zoom, etc.), while assessing potential impacts to agency security and performance.
- Provide patch management support for security vulnerabilities that could potentially impact UCC hardware, software and peripherals used in NCUA executive conference rooms, general purpose conference room and multi-media/classroom training facilities.
- Maintain the agency's Audio Video and Video Conferencing systems standards.
- Provide Tier II user support in the administration and management of NCUA user accounts to agency staff.
- Manage accounts, network rights, and access to systems and equipment.
- Assist internal OCIO stakeholders, the Office of Continuity and Security Management (OCSM), Office of Inspector General (OIG), Office of General Council (OGC), and Office of Human Resources (OHR) with cases related to security/privacy-related incidents and associated breach response activities in which sensitive investigative support information is required (cellular data logs, network activity logs, etc.).
- Perform Asset Management for NCUA UCC equipment and user endpoints such as laptops or mobile devices.
- Provide support to NCUA senior executives during and outside of standard business hours.
- Escalate issues and problems to external vendors and management as necessary, ensuring prompt and accurate resolution and appropriate visibility.
- Serve as a Contract Officer Representative for OCIO contracts.
Occasional travel - Once onsite work resumes, you may be expected to travel for this position.
Job family (Series)
2210 Information Technology Management
- Information Technology Specialist (It Specialist)
Conditions of Employment
- You must be a U.S. Citizen.
- Suitable adjudication of background/security investigation is required.
- A probationary/trial period may be required.
Specialized experience is the experience that has equipped you with the specific knowledge, skills, and abilities to successfully perform the duties of the position, and that is typically in or related to the work of the position to be filled.
All applicants applying for the CU- 11 level must have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the CU/GS- 09 level obtained in the private or public sector.
Specialized experience for this position is defined as experience:
1) Assisting with the testing and management of video conferencing hardware and software configurations on a network; And;
2) Providing support for the evaluation of video conferencing system operations against performance standards.
3) A Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree or three full years of progressively higher-level graduate education leading to a Ph.D. or equivalent doctoral degree In computer science, information science, information systems management, mathematics, statistics, operations research, engineering or technology management or in one or more of the fields identified above and required the development or adaptation of computer of applications, systems or networks. One year of graduate education is creditable in accordance with its relationship to a year of full-time study at the school attended. OR At least 1 year of combined graduate education and experience as defined above.
All applicants applying for the CU- 12 level must have at least one full year of specialized experience equivalent to the CU/GS- 11 level obtained in the private or public sector.
Specialized experience for this position is defined as experience:
1) Testing and management of video conferencing hardware and software configurations on a network; And;
2) Providing support for the evaluation of video conferencing system operations against performance standards.
In addition to the above qualifications, all individuals must have IT related experience demonstrating each of the four competencies listed below and demonstrate each of the following in your resume:
* Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
* Customer Service - Works with clients and customers (that is, any individuals who use or receive the services or products that your work unit produces, including the general public, individuals who work in the agency, other agencies, or organizations outside the Government) to assess their needs, provide information or assistance, resolve their problems, or satisfy their expectations; knows about available products and services; is committed to providing quality products and services.
* Oral Communication - Expresses information (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
* Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
You must meet the qualifications for this position by the closing date of this announcement.
Please note, all experience statements (i.e., duties, specialized experience, or occupational assessment questionnaire) copied from this announcement and pasted into your resume will not be considered as a demonstration of your qualifications for this position.
YOUR RESUME MUST provide specific details as to how your experience meets the specialized experience and support your responses to the online questionnaire as described in the vacancy announcement. When describing your experience in your resume, please be specific. We will not make assumptions regarding your experience. Please ensure that your resume includes the grade (if you are a current or previous federal employee), month, and year that you began and ended for each position held or that position may not be credited toward meeting the specialized experience requirement. Full-time employment will be assumed unless otherwise stated on your resume. Part-time employment will be prorated in crediting experience. Failure to provide details will result in an ineligible rating.
Your resume must also support your responses to the online questionnaire. Failure to provide support may result in a lower rating and/or you may be excluded from consideration. Your latest resume submitted for this vacancy announcement will be used to determine qualifications and supersedes previous submissions.
FOREIGN EDUCATION: Education completed outside of the United States must be deemed equivalent to that gained in accredited U.S. education programs to be acceptable for federal employment. A third party equivalency evaluation must be submitted at the time of application for all foreign education to receive consideration.
Note: Career Ladder Promotion Statement
For positions that are multi-graded, you may be noncompetitively promoted to the next grade level in accordance with OPM regulations and NCUA policies.
SALARY : Pay will be set within the advertised pay range to align with the selectee's skills and experience and the requirements of the position.
Pay will be set using NCUA's compensation policy. The salary range shown is NCUA's Local Pay Rate (LPR) which includes the locality rate for the Alexandria, Virginia geographical area. Please click here to review all salary ranges based on locality.
SELECTIVE SERVICE: If you are a male applicant born after December 31, 1959, you must certify that you have registered with the Selective Service System or are exempt from having to do so under the Selective Service Law. You may register or check the status of your registration by visiting the Selective Service website at (see application details) .
This position is not in the bargaining unit.
NOTE: Effective January 1, 2010, OPM must authorize any employment offers we make to current or former (within the last 5 years) political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES (political) employees in the executive branch. If you are currently, or have been within the last 5 years, a political Schedule A, Schedule C, or Non-career SES employee in the executive branch, you must disclose that to the point of contact listed on this vacancy announcement.
Illegal drug use by individuals working for or on behalf of the federal government, whether on duty or off duty, is contrary to the efficiency of the service and in direct violation of the Controlled Substance Act and the Drug-Free Workplace Act.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the NCUA's current posture will not require employees to perform official travel or work onsite at NCUA offices any earlier than August 30, 2021. This date may be extended.
If it becomes necessary for NCUA to request on-site work, NCUA may solicit volunteers for the assignment. Management reserves the right to request employees to perform on-site work in exigent circumstances.
NCUA IS A COMPETITIVE SERVICE FEDERAL AGENCY.
NCUA uses E-Verify, a web-based system, to confirm the eligibility of all newly hired employees to work in the United States. Learn more about E-Verify , including your rights and responsibilities.
More than the number of positions listed may be filled through this vacancy announcement.
How You Will Be Evaluated
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
For Category Rating: Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume and supporting documentation will be made and compared against your responses to the assessment questionnaire to determine if you are qualified for this job. If, after reviewing your resume and or supporting documentation, a determination is made that you have inflated your qualifications and or experience, you may lose consideration for this position. Please follow all instructions carefully. Errors or omissions may affect your eligibility. Qualified candidates will be assigned to a quality category. The category assignment is a measure of the degree to which your background matches the competencies required for this position.
Your application package will be reviewed for completeness (resume, completed assessment questionnaire, and supporting documentation). You will not be considered if you fail to submit all the required documents as outlined in this vacancy announcement.
If you meet the qualification requirements, your application will be placed in one of three categories:
Best Qualified - Applicants possessing experience that substantially exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position.
Well Qualified - Applicants possessing experience that exceeds the minimum qualifications of the position.
Qualified - Applicants possessing experience that meets the minimum qualifications of the position.
In addition to the application and application questionnaire, this position requires an online assessment. The online assessment measures critical general competencies required to perform the job.
The assessment includes a cut score based on the minimum level of required proficiency in these critical general competencies. You must meet or exceed the cut score to be considered. You will not be considered for the position if you score below the cut score or fail to complete the assessment.
The self-assessment questions have been developed to evaluate your competency in the following areas:
Accountability, Attention to Detail, Customer Service, Flexibility, Influencing/Negotiating, Information Systems/Network Security, Integrity/Honesty, Interpersonal Skills, Learning, Self-Management, Stress Tolerance, and Teamwork
Application of Veterans' Preference: The category rating process does not add veterans' preference points but protects the rights of veterans by placing them ahead of non-preference eligibles within each category. Preference eligibles who meet the minimum qualification requirements and who have a compensable service-connected disability of at least 10% must be listed in the highest quality category (except in the case of scientific or professional positions at the CU-09 level or higher).
If you are found to be among the top qualified candidates, your application will be referred to the selecting official for employment consideration. To preview the application questionnaire, please click here: (see application details)
Overstating your qualifications and/or experience in your application materials or application questionnaire may result in your removal from consideration. Cheating on the online assessment may also result in your removal from consideration.
Background checks and security clearance
Drug test required
Position sensitivity and risk
High Risk (HR)
Trust determination process
Reference Checks: Reference checks will need to be conducted before an offer of employment for the top candidate(s) for this position. The reference checks will need to be conducted with current and former supervisors, if applicable, as a part of NCUA's selection assessment process.
To apply for this position, you must provide a complete application package which includes:
1. Resume (required)
2. Other supporting documentation:
- Cover letter (optional)
- Veterans' documentation (see below for requirements)
- CTAP/ICTAP documentation (see below for requirements)
- College transcript(s), if qualifying based on education or if listed as a basic requirement
If you wish to receive consideration for veteran's preference you must submit a copy of your veteran's documentation including a DD-214 (member 4 copy preferred, however, the documentation provided must contain dates and character of service) along with a VA letter, SF-15 , etc., if applicable. If you are a current active duty service member, please submit an official statement of service from your command.
Note: If you are a current active duty military member who does not have a DD-214 and is claiming preference under the Veterans Opportunity to Work (VOW) Act, you must submit certification from the Armed Forces indicating that you will be discharged or released under honorable conditions from active duty within 120 days from the date on the certification. Certifications must be on letterhead from the appropriate military branch and include the following information: military dates of service and expected discharge or release date, the character of service, military rank, type of discharge, and date when terminal leave will begin. Certifications must be signed by, or by the direction of military members' military personnel offices, unit commanders or higher headquarters.
CTAP/ICTAP:Federal employees seeking CTAP/ICTAP eligibility must submit proof of their eligibility:
- Copy of agency notice;
- Most recent performance rating; and
- SF-50 noting current position, grade level and duty location or Certification of Expected Separation, Reduction In Force separation notice.
Note:To be well-qualified and exercise selection priority for this vacancy, displaced federal employees must be rated well-qualified or above on the rating criteria for this position. For additional information, click CTAP . If you are relying on your education to meet qualification requirements:
Education must be accredited by an accrediting institution recognized by the U.S. Department of Education in order for it to be credited towards qualifications. Therefore, provide only the attendance and/or degrees from schools accredited by accrediting institutions recognized by the U.S. Department of Education .
Failure to provide all of the required information as stated in this vacancy announcement may result in an ineligible rating or may affect the overall rating.
A career with the U.S. Government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new window Learn more about federal benefits .
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time, or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
Fair & Transparent
The Federal hiring process is setup to be fair and transparent. Please read the following guidance.
Equal Employment Opportunity Policy
The United States Government does not discriminate in employment on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy and gender identity), national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, retaliation, parental status, military service, or other non-merit factor.
- Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) for federal employees & job applicants
Reasonable Accommodation Policy
Federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodation to applicants with disabilities where appropriate. Applicants requiring reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process should follow the instructions in the job opportunity announcement. For any part of the remaining hiring process, applicants should contact the hiring agency directly. Determinations on requests for reasonable accommodation will be made on a case-by-case basis.
A reasonable accommodation is any change to a job, the work environment, or the way things are usually done that enables an individual with a disability to apply for a job, perform job duties or receive equal access to job benefits.
Under the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, federal agencies must provide reasonable accommodations when:
- An applicant with a disability needs an accommodation to have an equal opportunity to apply for a job.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to perform the essential job duties or to gain access to the workplace.
- An employee with a disability needs an accommodation to receive equal access to benefits, such as details, training, and office-sponsored events.
You can request a reasonable accommodation at any time during the application or hiring process or while on the job. Requests are considered on a case-by-case basis.
Learn more about disability employment and reasonable accommodations or how to contact an agency.
Read more Legal and regulatory guidance
- Financial suitability
- Social security number request
- Privacy Act
- Signature and false statements
- Selective Service
- New employee probationary period