Location: San Francisco - California
As a Sr. Connected Enterprise System Architect, you hold a critical role in our team and are responsible for technical vision and strategy of the Connected Enterprise technical architecture.
At Rockwell Automation, we believe in the power of combining data and technologyto achieve results in manufacturing and production. We make the building blocks - the intelligent devices and controllers - at the heart of making. But they're not just components. They're parts of a whole. We engineer these building blocks to work together as integrated, industry-focused solutionsthat drive measurable outcomes. Rockwell technology is powered by purpose-built software that makes our systems safer, more flexible, simpler to operate, and more secure. We're merging IT and OT, bringing the benefits of the Connected Enterprise to the production system.
This candidate would be part of a cross-organization architecture team responsible for driving the software architectural vision and strategy for the company. The candidate will be focused on working across the hardware, software, and services organization to help drive and evangelize the technical architecture and system foundations of the Connected Enterprise
When you join our organization, you become part of a team that believes in knowledge sharing and collaboration and that is committed to using reliable and well-thought-out practices and technology to overcome any challenges.
We are looking for someone who will effectively leverage and learn from a diverse set of technical backgrounds and opinions by fostering a team-oriented environment and demonstrating open and direct communications based on honesty and respect.
- Serve as the cross-organization system architect lead for the Connected Enterprise within Software and Controls with an emphasis on software and hardware systems and cloud/ edge/data technologies, patterns and concepts.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with cross-business unit personnel (e.g. sales, marketing, UX) in order to understand customer, product, and process requirements, detail architecture vision/strategy and to facilitate the understanding and adoption of the technical strategic vision.
- Develop and write technical/business presentations and whitepapers to detail the Connected Enterprise vision; be able to present and communicate this material internally and externally at an executive and technical manager level
- Develop and maintain collaborative relationships with partner companies to drive necessary advancements
- Lead cross-product architecture working group as needed to provide/drive best practices, key architectural decisions, issue resolution, and governance
- Serve as the Subject Matter Expert on software and hardware technologies based on candidate area of expertise.
- Provide technical leadership and collaborate on key architectural decisions and design considerations with regards to software development and architectural/solution designs
- Provide technical consulting on an as-needed basis to business units and product teams. Assist with critical high profile problem resolution. Significantly contribute to the development and implementation of the product strategic direction in terms of areas of expertise
- Maintain technical expertise in field. Keep current through contacts with educational institutions, professional societies, and technical publications. Maintain awareness of applicable new technologies, processes, and competitive trends.
- Promote and coordinate relevant technical activities with standards organizations, consortia, government agencies, leading universities, and other Rockwell organizations on a select basis.
- Conduct tasks in accordance with applicable health, safety, quality, and environmental regulations (state/federal laws, ISO 9001, ISO 14000, etc.) as well as Rockwell Automation policies and procedures.
- Thinks outside the box and is willing to research and explore new avenues to overcome obstacles by utilizing the latest technologies and standards.
- Bachelor's Degree
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening
- Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or equivalent engineering discipline preferred
- Experience designing large scale production enterprise software products and cloud applications.
- Three to five years of actual product development experience in systems, and/or cloud.
- Eight to ten years of enterprise scale software product development experience.
- Intimately familiar with legacy and modern software concepts, practices, and procedures, including networking, security, capacity planning, and software architecture at scale.
- Experience with Microsoft Azure, Amazon AWS, Google Cloud Platform or other.
- Experience with legacy Windows-centric technologies
- Requires strong interpersonal, leadership, organizational and written/verbal communication skills. Should possess the ability and patience to explain complex technical concepts to non-technical audiences
- Requires an ability to sell ideas and present strategies at all organizational levels including the senior executive level.
- Proven history of driving change in an organization.
- Requires an ability to present strategies and provide effective training to industry councils and senior management, both internally and externally.
- Development experience in industrial automation software.
- Experience with legal and governance issues surrounding software technologies.
- Working knowledge in areas such as cloud/edge technologies, microservices, service mesh, distributed systems, cloud security, DevOps, IIoT, analytics, and machine learning.
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).