Friday, July 16, 2021
Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and
marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With
an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives
of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and
benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media
assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S.,
and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with
more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing
services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which
are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events
business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visit www.gannett.com.
We are looking for journalists to join the Digital Optimization Team who passionate about growing reach and trust with audiences to convert them into paying subscribers. The Producer II role optimizes content to reach audiences and manages multiple digital platforms, including social and native. A successful candidate must demonstrate strong news judgment and have prior digital or story packaging experience. They will specialize in finding a wide audience for the regions stories, photos, videos, graphics and other content. The role works with digital team leadership, editors, reporters and visual journalists to best display content on all digital platforms.
Candidates should demonstrate a strong understanding of audience metrics, SEO and social optimization with the goal of growing audience. The ideal candidate will be a strong collaborator, who can work closely with others. He or she will understand the constantly changing news cycle and the need to be flexible. This role may include early morning, night and/or weekend work.
Typical job duties:
- Interacts with newsrooms across the entire USA TODAY Network to help our best journalism reach the best audience.
- Enhances content with video, galleries, SEO meta-data, hyperlinks and images.
- Optimizes, aggregates and packages assets for digital publication.
- Writes effective digital headlines, briefs, and breaking news alerts that help attract audiences.
- Writes engaging social posts that attract audiences and encourage readers to interact with social content.
- Uses metrics to monitor real-time data, determine traffic patterns and make changes tied to the data. Familiarity with Parse.ly and analytics products a plus.
- Able to capture a trending search opportunity through repackaging of original content or aggregating social reaction to a developing story.
- Provides packaging and presentation across all platforms, including mobile and other social platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Reddit.
- Manages home pages to engage a loyal audience.
- Able to spot and fix issues related to grammar, spelling, punctuation and style. Notifies newsroom editors if there are content issues.
- Manages workflow to meet digital deadlines.
- Stays calm under pressure and throughout big news events.
- Provides great customer service, working collaboratively to find solutions.
- The ideal candidate will have a Bachelor's in a related field such as communications or media or the equivalent in experience.
- 2-3 years of experience working in the news industry
- Previous experience working on social media, video editing and/or search engine optimization in a competitive news environment.
- Knowledge of AP style
- Strong news judgment
- SEO knowledge
- Advanced headline-writing skills
- Excellent communication skills
Gannett Co., Inc.is a proud equal opportunity employer. We are a drug free, EEO employer committed to a diverse workforce. We will consider all qualified candidates regardless of race, color, national origin, sex, age, marital status, personal appearance, sexual orientation, gender identity, family responsibilities, disability, education, political affiliation, or veteran status.
Copy, Production & Planning