Assignment Location Center Campus
Perform various duties in support of Veterinary Technician Program and Veterinary Assistant Program. Assist in veterinary technician labs, veterinary assistant labs as well as Hospital Care, Lab Animal Care, and Open labs. When working with large animals, assist faculty with animals at Bowers School Farm.
- Assist in transportation and check in of animals from the animal shelter
- Prepare equipment and consumables for lab courses and related areas; assist with set up and tear down of practical exams.
- Assisting in maintaining records and teaching facilities in accordance with regulatory or accrediting agencies-USDA, AVMA, AAHA, OSHA, NAVTA
- Assist in supervising students caring for animals
- Assist in open lab
- Assist faculty with evaluation of student performances of required skills
- Guide small student groups through various skills taught in the labs
- Set up equipment and supplies needed for lab classes; ensure that equipment is functioning properly and used safely
- Clean-up of lab after classes
- Ensure that all USDA and OSHA polices are being followed in regard to sharps and biohazards.
- Assist in maintaining various medical equipment
- Assist with recruitment and career talks.
- Assist with inventory and tracking supplies
- General maintenance and organization of the lab and prep rooms
- Assist with data input
- May move and unpack inventory
- Perform other duties as assigned
When assigned to Bowers School Farm:
- Collection and transportation of supplies to Bowers School Farm; provide general maintenance and organization of the large animal supplies and equipment
- Set up and tear down all large animal labs
- Assist the instructor with restraint of various species of large animals including horses, cows, pigs, sheep, goats and fowl
- Assist the instructor in demonstrating technical skills on the large animals
- Clean and dry lab and farm equipment
- Ensure that all USDA and OSHA polices are being followed in regard to sharps and biohazards while at Bowers School Farm
- May assist with inventory control of items and supplies related to large animals
- Perform related duties as assigned
SUPERVISION RECEIVED: Reports to the Associate Dean, Health and Human Services. Takes direction from the Vet Tech Program Director, Laboratory Supervisor and faculty as assigned
SUPERVISION GIVEN: Part Time Staff as assigned
Must be a Licensed Veterinary Technician or eligible for Michigan licensure. Must receive Michigan licensure within six months of hire.
Must have one year clinical experience as a licensed Veterinary Technician and/or experience as a teaching intern at an AVMA accredited veterinary technician program.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Must be able to follow instructions. Must be able to work independently as well as part of a team. Must have good communication skills. Writing and verbal skills and the ability to follow procedures are required. May be required to use Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook. Attention to detail and organization important.
Some heavy lifting may be required, including loads up to 50lbs.
Work Hours To be schedule40 hours per week. Some weekends and holidays may be required.
Position Level 1
Salary $39,727 - $51,863 (2021 salary range) Maximum salary upon new hire $39,727
Posting Code AS325P
Open Date 07/15/2021
Close Date 07/29/2021
As an equal opportunity employer and learning institution, Macomb Community College recruits, hires and promotes for all positions without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, or handicap. All employment decisions are based on the qualifications of each individual. No person shall be denied equal treatment as a result of a College practice or policy. The College is committed to racial, cultural, and ethnic diversity.