This reporting position delivers breaking news about police, fire and public safety emergencies first whenever possible, going to scenes as required to get the news. Use all digital tools and platforms to find and disseminate news. Absent breaking news, generate daily enterprise stories from a replenished well of reader-focused ideas that arise from comprehensive knowledge of the beat and network of sources. Reveal police and fire strategies that work and don't work. Stays on top of trends and their effects.
- Focuses on audience, tracking how readers respond to stories with an eye toward attracting and converting infrequent users and growing page views from subscribers.
- Quickly but accurately reports and writes initial breaking news stories about police, fire or other emergencies with updates as frequently as needed.
- Uses digital tools of all types, social media and sources to find and report stories with priority given to Lexington followed by surrounding counties and the rest of Kentucky. Keep an ongoing list of ideas, including follow-ups.
- Aggregate stories from other news sources when necessary, taking care to employ quotes when taking material from another source.
- Break larger stories into smaller articles with separate headlines that can attract different audiences.
Produce daily or mid-term enterprise about public safety when there is a lack of breaking news.
- Disseminate stories and information via established social media / Twitter accounts with care and accuracy.
- Continually develop a large variety of sources for tips, leads, context and information.
- Strive to understand and leverage police, fire and emergency procedures, state criminal law and the criminal justice system to report and inform.
- Use diverse sources in stories and seek to cover issues of interest to a diverse audience. Follow McClatchy ethics guidelines on identifying people and avoiding bias.
- Aware of documents and data available to enhance reporting and able to employ the Freedom of Information Act to obtain them.
- Employ search engine optimization tactics to get the best Google rankings possible.
- Generates visuals or requests visuals to accompany reporting. Works with the visuals team.
- Must be a team player, able to collaborate across departments and roles.
Essential Skills and Experience:
- 1-year daily newspaper or equivalent.
- Should be proficient in writing, reporting, spelling, grammar, interviewing and organization.
- Should be proficient in the use of mobile devices and cameras to produce technically sound, well-composed visuals. Should also be proficient with video editing software.
- Computer-assisted reporting skills are a major asset.
- Should be proficient in use of mobile digital equipment, with a capacity to learn and grow in use of multimedia.
- Must have access to reliable transportation and valid driver’s license.
- Ability to take direction well.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to get along with people and interact well with the public.
- Ability to sit or stand for prolonged periods of time.
Education: College degree