Johnson County Physical Plant department is seeking a full-time Custodian to join their team. This position performs manual and custodial work. Assigned to clean and upkeep various County buildings.
Qualified candidates must have a minimum of an eighth grade education or equivalent AND 6 months of custodial/maintenance experience OR any combination of training and experience that provides the required knowledge and abilities.
Special requirements: Must pass background check.
Specific duties: to be performed satisfactorily with or without reasonable accommodation. The following duties are normal for this position.These are not to be construed as exclusive or all inclusive.Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Sweep, mop, scrub, strip, wax, and polish floors in hallways, lobbies, offices, etc.
- Wash sinks, mirrors, shelves, windows, walls, and blinds.
- Disinfect high touch surfaces such as handrails, counters, drinking fountains, door knobs, etc.
- Clean and sanitize restrooms and replace supplies.
- Dust and wash furniture and fixtures.
- Help move furniture and other heavy objects. Prepare rooms for meetings as requested.
- Vacuum and shampoo rugs and carpets.
- Empty wastebaskets / ashtrays.
- Carry out and properly dispose of garbage / trash.
- Collect, sort, and dispose of recyclable materials in appropriate location.
- Perform routine maintenance on cleaning equipment.
- Notify supervisor of inventory and maintenance needs.
- Occasionally perform routine grounds work, including picking up trash and shoveling snow.
- Secure and open facilities as needed.
- Perform duties at other County buildings as needed.
- Participate in training and work related meetings as requested.
- Perform all work duties and activities in accordance with County policies, procedures, and safety practices.
- Attend work regularly at the designated place and time.
Starting salary $18.33/hour plus excellent benefits.
Location: Physical Plant Johnson County Health and Human Services Building, 855 S Dubuque St Iowa City, Iowa