The Senior Director of Gift Planning is a key member of the fundraising team, responsible for leading BGSU’s planned giving programming, as well as serving as an adviser to University Advancement leadership and staff. The Senior Director of Gift Planning will identify, cultivate, solicit, close, and steward planned and direct gifts benefiting priorities across BGSU’s campus, and on behalf of BGSU Firelands. The position will serve as the primary expert on complex deferred charitable giving tools such as charitable annuities, trusts, life insurance, wills and bequests, and more. The Director will remain current in the laws and regulations governing such gifts, in all other areas of giving, and on BGSU’s gift acceptance policies regarding planned gifts and gifts-in-kind. The Senior Director of Gift Planning will work to identify, cultivate, solicit, and close gifts at major gift ($25,000+) and principal gift ($1,000,000+) levels, and assist fundraisers in their planned gift negotiations with donors. The Senior Director will provide educational sessions and material on planned and deferred gifts to Advancement staff and other University colleagues, oversee the 1910 Society, develop and manage a planned giving advisory council, maintain BGSU’s planned giving website, and lead marketing efforts to educate donors and prospects about planned giving opportunities. The position also will supervise the Assistant Director for Gift Planning.
Essential Duties, Tasks and Responsibilities
- Identify, cultivate, and solicit planned giving prospects for major and principal level gifts. Manage an active portfolio of assigned donors and prospects and meet assigned metrics for performance.
- Develop and implement a marketing strategy plan to identify and attract legacy prospects through web, mailings, seminars/education sessions, industry partnerships, and alumni engagement activities.
- Provide guidance and training on tools, solicitation strategies, and giving vehicles to University Advancement colleagues. Attend donor visits with fundraising colleagues to assist with presentation of illustrations, legacy gift solicitations and closures. Assist with gift-in-kind acceptance, assessing risk, value and legal implications. Develop and manage an advisory council of estate, financial planning and banking professionals to support BGSU’s gift planning objectives.
- Manage the charitable trust and gift annuity program. Work with industry partners and the Assistant Director for Gift Planning to design, implement, audit, and evaluate current and future programs.
- Remain current in knowledge of charitable and estate planning tools and techniques, and tax legislation changes.
- Supervise and mentor the Assistant Director for Gift Planning.
Knowledge, Skills or Abilities
- Must be able to work with individuals on estate or deferred gift plans.
- Must have knowledge of estate tax and legal implications, as well as knowledge of planned gift instruments and approaches.
- Must be an excellent written and verbal communicator with strong organizational and time management skills.
In addition to your cover letter and resume, you will be required to upload a written response to the diversity and inclusion question listed below. The Diversity Statement should not exceed 1 page that is double-spaced with 1-inch margins, using 12pt. font.
- Is there a way you envision diversity and inclusion playing a role in this position? Please explain your answer.
A Bachelor’s Degree is required – a J.D. is strongly preferred. Degree must be conferred at the time of application. Must have and maintain a valid driver’s license and comply with the university’s vehicle use policy.
The following experience is required:
- At least 8 years of experience in legal estate planning or as a major gift fundraiser or planned giving leader in a higher education or other large, nonprofit setting.
- At least three years of supervisory experience is required.
Full-time, Administrative staff position available. Administrative Grade Level 359. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Full benefit package available.
For a complete job description & to apply for this position visit https://bgsu.hiretouch.com/ or contact the Office of Human Resources at (419) 372-8421. BGSU. AA/EEO/Disabilities/Veterans. In compliance with the ADA Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position with Bowling Green State University, please call 419-372-8421.