Acoustics Engineer - Home Products
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Jul 21, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200268501
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience - Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. The Home Acoustics team is responsible for the acoustic design and overall audio quality of the HomePod product lines as well as all audio solutions for the home. We are motivated to share our love of audio so that anyone can be moved by sound the way that we are. We are a diverse team having expertise in acoustic design and integration, algorithm prototyping, critical listening and hearing science. We work daily with multi-functional teams to find innovative solutions to complex engineering issues. We are searching for an experienced Acoustic Engineer to help bring Home products to the next level.
- A proven technical background (5+ years) in an audio related or acoustics engineering role
- Expertise in one of the following: loudspeaker system design, acoustic system integration, audio transducer design, sound quality evaluation
- Working knowledge of acoustic transducer fundamentals (speaker and microphone) in the context of acoustic system design
- Audio prototyping skills (e.g. MaxMSP, Matlab, etc.)
- Familiarity with acoustic simulation tools (e.g. COMSOL, ANSYS, etc.)
- Working knowledge of audio analyzers - e.g. Klippel R&D/QC, Listen SoundCheck, Audio Precision APx
- Excellent communication skills: verbal, written and presentation level
- Experience working with high-volume, offshore manufacturers, and able to travel internationally
Acoustic design engineers drive development of new acoustic hardware from concept to mass production. This includes ownership of the complete audio system architecture by working cross-functionally with multiple disciplines to solve challenges. The candidate is expected to communicate acoustic and audio architecture ideas and concepts to related project teams and management. In addition, the candidate will be expected to design, build and validate acoustic designs. This includes giving input on the digital signal processing architecture to ensure the overall audio product experience is second to none.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in acoustics, signal processing, electrical/mechanical engineering or an equivalent field, but if you've followed a different path to expertise in acoustic design, we still want to hear from you.
- International travel to support development activities is required (approximately 15%).