Software DevOps Engineer- (MSI Machine Metrics)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Jul 16, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200267494
Imagine what you could do here. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. Apple's Manufacturing Systems and Infrastructure (MSI) team is responsible for capturing, consolidating and tracking all manufacturing data for Apple's products and modules worldwide. We are a multi-functional team, tackling challenging software engineering problems across a broad range of Apple manufacturing services. Apple's MSI is seeking a Software & DevOps Engineer who can help lead the next generation of products we create. Our infrastructure team is responsible for architecting, building, and scaling a large distributed system. You should strive to make everyone that uses the systems life easier, especially the dev team. This means automating everything from deployments to workflows, CI/CD systems, monitoring and alerting setup and using cloud and container technologies.
- Experience in building distributed and large scale/micro service architecture system using Container and Cloud technologies
- Experience with SDLC practices and building a stable CI/CD systems in pipelines as code approach
- Proficient with Linux commands, OS system internals, install/uninstall applications, troubleshooting issues
- Understanding of security concepts for data pipelines and experience using messaging queues (RabbitMQ, HiveMQ, Kafka, etc.)
- Good automation skills in Python/Go adhering to the best coding practices, or any other script language such as Bash or other shell language
- Infrastructure knowledge of Cloud, Networks, load balancers, Firewalls and WAF
- Experience with Monitoring & Alerting tools such as Splunk, AppDynamics, Prometheus, ELK, TICK stack, Grafana, etc
- Key supporting tools and technologies such as: Docker, Containers, Kubernetes, Helm, Ansible, Saltstack, Jenkins pipelines, Gitflow
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills
- Problem solving, hacking, and debugging skills
- Internals of SQL and No-SQL database is desirable
- Experience with macOS/iOS, or modern web app development is a bonus
- Willingness to do on-call and other out of office support (< 10%)
The MSI machine metrics group is a fast-paced, iterative environment with many exciting responsibilities! As a key member of our team, you will be collaborating with system and application developers, Operations and Contract Manufacturers to build/deploy and sustain real time applications in an industrial environment. You will help configure and deploy client applications on Mac/Linux/iOS platforms and work with cross-functional teams to deploy our applications to the massive iPhone supply chain, and help build the future of our real time manufacturing systems. This is a rare opportunity to put your signature on how Apple manufactures everything. In this role you will be working with a unique blend of mechanical engineers, data scientists, DevOps, automation and robotics specialists building a platform for IoT initiatives (Industry 4.0). The data collected using connected devices, sensor data and digitized machinery as distributed systems are changing the way manufacturing is done. KEY RESPONSIBILITIES - As part of the Factory automation and tools team of highly skilled engineers, you will manage the ever-evolving infrastructure/ops automation space - designing from scratch to supporting in maintenance phase - Configure, deploy and monitor applications and tools on edge devices and configure connectivity to cloud based platforms - Provide support for application and network latency issues, as well as various operational tasks such as management and deployment of the application - Build and support a reliable telemetry system to monitor the infrastructure and application services and drive incident management - Self starter with a knack for debugging complex issues - Build and maintain accurate, up-to-date documentation reflecting configuration - Occasional travel required to provide on-site support and perform deployment tasks YOU WILL ALSO BE: - A great teammate who likes to collaborate and ask questions. - Positive and able to adapt quickly to change - Have a passion for simplicity - Have efficient communication skills - A self-starter, forward-thinking person to consider implications of choices and communicate key decision junctures driving technical design decision making - Have a willingness to learn and try innovative approaches. - Balance working on variety of high profile, critical projects. - Initiate and explore alternate technology and approaches to solving problems. We are not looking for a solution for now; but rather the best solution for tomorrow. We are an ambitious team that takes smart risks and challenges everything -- including each other. None of us are the best at everything but all are the best at something. If you are the best at delivering high quality DevOps experience, come join our team.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor or Master in Computer Science or similar, alternatively a comparable long and productive career in SRE/DevOps/automation. Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants. Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law. Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.