So, a desk job isn't your thing? Tired of the warehouse? We've got an active, outdoors role for YOU! We need Highway Maintenance Technician/Laborers to help take care of the major interstates corridors in the Petersburg area. The role is full time, permanent and comes with lots of benefits, but you can't let the heat/cold getcha! Then there's the rain...and don't forget about the traffic flying by. Are you sure you're cut out to be a part of our highway crew?
As an added bonus for those candidates hired, you will receive a free Apple Watch. Upon successful completion of your first 30 days of employment.
The position is responsible to perform general maintenance of the highway maintenance project assigned along I-95 and nearby interstate corridors surrounding Petersburg.
What's work like, you ask?
- We replace highway signage (think speed limit signs), repair fences and remove debris , and dead animals from the right of way, median and road itself.
- We repair slopes and do relief work in drainage ditches, so knowing the way around a mini-excavator or skid-steer is helpful.
- You'll be mowing sometimes (long stretches, not like in a neighborhood) and may use cool equipment like tractors, and z-turns.
- Other landscaping work may be needed, like: weed-eating, blowing, trimming trees, fallen tree removal, spraying herbicide, and more.
- Other odd-jobs might include: graffiti removal, pressure washing, pavement marking, asphalt patching, guardrail repair, concrete work and more.
- We also do emergency/incident response and MOT (Maintenance of Traffic) to assist first-responders with accidents and other major emergencies, where you will set up cones, and various traffic control devices/signage to help direct traffic. While also using trucks lights, messaging, and arrow boards to keep people alert.
We will keep you busy. Just make sure you have jeans, steel-toe boots and a safety focused get-it-done type attitude. We'll give you the rest of the gear you need aka PPE(Personal Protective Equipment), but you have to be punctual to work with our crews! We start around 7am, and the day wraps up when the work is done. Note: There is an on-call rotation requirement, in which you will have to respond to emergencies if they arise outside of normal workday hours.
- Valid Drivers License with good driving record (CDL license preferred, but not required)
- For on-call purposes, candidates must live within 25-30 mins of project office. Located at 2201 Courtland Road, Petersburg VA 23805
- Must be 18+ years of age
- Must have transportation to and from Company office
- Be able to lift fifty to sixty pounds (50 – 60 lbs.)
- Be able to drive manual transmission truck
- Be able to comply with Company Drug and Alcohol Policy
- Be able to work overtime, nights and occasional weekends
- Highway maintenance or construction skills are preferred
- MOT certificate must be obtained
Apply online at dbijobs.com/job-opportunities. Search in Career Opportunities, select the location Petersburg, VA and the position of Highway Maintenance Technician.
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Temperature screenings
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Virtual meetings
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place