Job Title: Director, Enterprise Applications and Data Systems
Office: Office of Data Systems and Strategy
Date Posted: 9/3/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $130,502 - $137,884
NTE Date: N/A
The Government of the District of Columbia values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with the Government of the District of Columbia.
The mission of the Office of Data Systems and Strategy is to support schools and the district as a whole to use technology and data effectively to accelerate student achievement. The Office includes the following teams:
- The Information Technology team provides DCPS students and staff, in every school, with the infrastructure, systems, and support to use technology effectively to accelerate student achievement.
- The Assessments team leads and supports schools in the administration of summative assessments and surveys and ensures test integrity is maintained during assessments.
- The Data team ensures stakeholders at all levels of the organization have access to accurate, timely, and relevant data by organizing, validating, and reporting on student data and by conducting analysis and research to inform decision-making.
- The School Data & Performance team supports and builds school-based capacity to use data tools to inform school planning and decision-making.
The Information Technology team provides DCPS students and staff, in every school, with the infrastructure, systems, and support to use technology effectively to accelerate student achievement
The Director, Enterprise Applications and Data Systems oversees a team responsible for developing, deploying, and managing application solutions for DC Public Schools, including the Student Information System. The Director will oversee the implementation and management of the Student Information System, application development, delivery and testing principles, and other critical Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and business system applications for DCPS. The Director is responsible for driving a fast-paced environment, accelerating the team's professional growth, and adapting the team's solution delivery to support schools.
The Director, Enterprise Applications and Data Systems will report to the Deputy Chief, Information Technology.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the implementation and management of the Student Information System, application development, delivery and testing principles, and other critical Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) and business system applications for DCPS; and works across Offices to understand DCPS' needs and integrate them into overall strategy.
- Manages technical development resources, both contractor and FTE, who are responsible for development, operations, and maintenance for enterprise applications; and suggests techniques and approaches to improve performance.
- Builds senior-level relationships across internal departments and Offices to drive collaboration and project success; and interacts with and responds effectively to urgent requests from multiple internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Keeps informed about innovations, developments in policy, and research; and advises DCPS senior management team on proposed legislation, policies, and procedures affecting the specific department and projects assigned.
- Attends relevant external meetings and conferences to stay informed about latest research and trends; represents the perspective and vision of DCPS; and presents specific findings and project results.
- Develops and maintains a current and future state architecture that aligns to organization goals and ensures strong customer-focused service.
- Works collaboratively with a variety of individuals to design, develop, and configure custom and/or commercial-off-the-shelf (COTS) database and software applications.
- Identifies and systematizes successful operational and project management methods; and develops and implements annual budget and allocation of staff and resources.
- Defines, manages, and improves service level reporting for application development; and provides early warning to the appropriate business partnership and planning leaders regarding degraded or missed service levels.
- Proactively helps to adjust department approach based on changes in direction, priorities, and resources; and coordinates and directs the work of staff based on volume, priorities, and strategic context.
- Works to facilitate consistency of service technical experience in the development and management of Student Information System, data science, Big Data, ERP, mobile/web platforms, software delivery, and testing delivery across client groups.
- Drives the gathering and analysis of data for internal and external reporting; and evaluates, on quantitative and qualitative basis, effectiveness of programs and special projects towards meeting established goals and objectives.
- Assesses programmatic talent needs and implements hiring, training/professional development strategies, and organizational design appropriately; guides and coaches direct reports and other team members; and keeps staff informed of internal and external developments affecting their areas of responsibility.
- Bachelor's degree and five to seven years of related work experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- At least three years of experience overseeing enterprise applications teams and resources.
- Experience with and knowledge of IT outsourcing activities in a managed services environment preferred.
- Demonstrated experience in Agile development methodologies, specifically with large-scale initiatives and geographically-distributed teams.
- Proven knowledge of SDLC; and good understanding of ITIL v3 Framework.
- Strong process management, negotiating, influencing, and problem resolution skills.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.