The YMCA of South Florida's Youth Development Team is now hiring energetic, outgoing people to work in our Afterschool programs throughout Miami-Dade County. The Counselor is responsible for the overall day to day group programming, behavior management, and direct supervision and safety of a group of a 15-25 participants / children. This includes planning and implementing activities in accordance to both age and developmentally appropriate practices as outlined by grant mandates, licensing agencies, the State of Florida and the YMCA of South Florida guidelines.
- Provide safety and supervision to a group of children and ensure that activities are planned and followed. Maintain coordination with facility personnel for safety and benefit of participants in the program. Ensure that safety rules and practices are followed as they relate to children and staff.
- Ensure that the proper staff-to-child ratio is maintained at all times and report discrepancies to the Site Supervisor as needed.
- Document all necessary administrative forms as directed by Site Supervisor/or Program Director. Conduct and maintain daily attendance rosters.
- Conduct and maintain any necessary measurable tools to track children’s progress.
- Distribute nutritious lunch and snacks on a daily basis using universal health/sanitation practices.
- Follow all YMCA HEPA standards.
- Document behavioral issues and/or incidents daily, as needed.
- Conduct a health check of each child daily noting fever, bumps, bruises, burns, or other questionable signs of abuse and document the incident with the Site Supervisor.
- Maintain high level of professionalism with parents, facility personnel, staff, and clients at all times. Communicate with parents and guardians regularly.
- Uphold all YMCA policies and Risk Management / Safety procedures which require reporting all incident and accidents to Site Supervisor immediately.
- Know and follow proper emergency procedures appropriate to the facility and in conformity with procedures adopted by the YMCA of South Florida and emergency service authorities to ensure the safety of children.
- Preserve the quality of supplies and materials. Report to Site Supervisor when supplies are needed.
- Provide regular inspection of area used by the program to ensure both cleanliness and safety.
- Check bathrooms for supplies and basic cleanliness before allowing participants to enter.
- Attend all staff meetings and training opportunities as required.
- Outgoing personality enjoys speaking to people.
- Must enjoy working with children.
- Innate desire to provide excellent customer service.
- A high school diploma or GED.
- One to two (1-2) years’ experience of working with school aged children preferred.
- Ability to relate to children.
- The counselor must be at least 18 years old at the time of hire.
- Must be able to communicate clearly and effectively orally and in writing.
- Must have demonstrated competency in the planning and implementation of recreational and educational activities.
- Must be able to implement curriculums and provide instruction to participants at a basic level.
Certifications & Licenses:
- First Aid and CPR certification within 30 days of hire.
- 45 hours of DCF trainings complete within 90 days of hire.
As a condition of employment, you will be required to submit to and satisfactorily clear a thorough Level II fingerprinting background screening and drug test.
As a Drug Free Workplace, all new hires must successfully complete a urinalysis within 72 hours of notice. Failure to complete the drug test within this timeframe will automatically disqualify you from employment. Please note Medical Marijuana cards do not exempt you from successfully passing your drug test.
The YMCA of South Florida is committed to the policy of Equal Opportunity prohibiting discrimination in the workplace because of race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, political affiliation, age or disability.