The professionals at the National Security Agency (NSA) have one common goal: to protect our nation. The mission requires a strong offense and a steadfast defense. The offense collects, processes and disseminates intelligence information derived from foreign signals for intelligence and counterintelligence purposes. The defense prevents adversaries from gaining access to sensitive classified national security information.
The Computing Resources Manager/Network Manager will play a unique role in enabling NSA to effectively execute its mission, supplying customers with advanced computing resources, and global networking. The Computing Resources Manager/Network Manager assists in the planning, designing, managing the configuration, identifying network faults, restoring service after faults occur, and the performance and security of operational networks.
The NSA is seeking a highly competent Computing Resources Manager/Network Manager to oversee the design and maintenance of its network of specialized hardware, which includes high-performance computers (HPCs) and Graphics Processing Unit (GPU) servers. The selectee will be expected to provide a high level of service to a demanding workforce with specialized hardware and software needs. Duties will include:
- Collaborate with team members and help prioritize requests from researchers and mission organizations
- Assist in the planning, design, and documentation of the compute environment
- Oversee the installation, configuration, and maintenance of hardware and software, fault diagnosis, and restoration after faults.
- Establish and maintain professional relationships with partnering network managers and system administrators, customers, and professional colleagues both internal and external to the Agency.
The ideal candidate will be comfortable working with network switches and firewalls, HPC and GPU systems, and customization of hardware and/or software components; recommending and scheduling security-related patches and ensuring compliance, at all times, with NSA's IT security, compliance, and oversight requirements; alerting system owners and Information Systems Security Officers to any security incidents or violations; and, examining network vulnerabilities and determining actions to mitigate them. Additional duties could include writing, editing, and maintaining network management documentation.
Holding any network and security certifications is desired (i.e. Linux, CompTIA, CISSP, CCIE, CCDE, etc.).
Specific technical responsibilities and competencies include:
- Knowledge of computer operating systems, hardware, and software (to include HPC, GPU, Linux, and Windows)
- Troubleshooting networks, computers, and peripheral devices to isolate causes of failures or problems
- Expertise with network communications and network security
- Proficiency in routers, switches, firewalls, and VPNs
- Serving as the primary contact for network and system performance, availability, and security
- Managing, monitoring, and controlling networks (to include security, fault management, configuration, performance, and accounting of computer systems, processes, and networks)
- Coordinating and directing recovery and restoration activities for IT services
- Consulting, tasking, and coordinating with external organizations to resolve network, system, server, or other problems
- Monitoring and maintaining integrity of data, reports, and interfaces in Information Technology (IT) systems
- Providing timely and accurate responses to requests for assistance, information, products, or services.
The ideal candidate is a customer oriented individual with a networking background and experience with project and configuration management. The NSA is looking for a candidate that has excellent problem-solving, communication, and interpersonal skills.
- Complex problem solving
- Critical and analytical thinking
- Time management
- Customer service
- Balancing competing demands and multiple assignments.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
On-the job training, Internal NSA courses, and external training will be made available based on the need and experience of the selectee.
This is a full-time position. These positons work the ODNI 12-hour rotating schedule, with shifts starting at 0600 and 1800.
How To Apply - External
To apply for this position, please click the 'Apply' button located at the top right of this posting. After completing the application for the first time, or reviewing previously entered information, and clicking the 'Submit' button, you will receive a confirmation email. Please ensure your spam filters are configured to accept emails from (see application details).
***PLEASE NOTE: U.S. Citizenship is required for all applicants. Reasonable accommodations provided to applicants with disabilities during the application and hiring process where appropriate. NSA is an equal opportunity employer and abides by applicable employment laws and regulations. All applicants and employees are subject to random drug testing in accordance with Executive Order 12564. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a security background investigation and polygraph.
This position is a Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS) position in the Excepted Service under 10 U.S.C. 1601. DoD Components with DCIPS positions apply Veterans' Preference to eligible candidates as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 USC, in accordance with the procedures provided in DoD Instruction 1400.25, Volume 2005, DCIPS Employment and Placement. If you are a veteran claiming veterans' preference, as defined by Section 2108 of Title 5 U.S.C., you may be asked to submit documents verifying your eligibility.
Please note that you may be asked a series of questions depending on the position you apply for. Your responses will be used as part of the screening process of your application and will assist in determining your eligibility for the position. Be sure to elaborate on experiences in your resume. Failure to provide the required information or providing inaccurate information will result in your application not being considered for this position. Only those applicants who meet the qualifications for the position will be contacted to begin employment processing.
Please Note: Job Posting could close earlier than the closing date due to sufficient number of applicants or position no longer available. We encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
The National Security Agency (NSA) is part of the DoD Intelligence Community Defense Civilian Intelligence Personnel System (DCIPS). All positions in the NSA are in the Excepted Services under 10 United States Codes (USC) 1601 appointment authority.