Swift Performance Compiler Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Sep 4, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200284114
The Apple Swift Compiler group is responsible for evolving the Swift programming language and continuing to improve the performance, safety, and reliability of the Swift language. We are looking for a Swift Performance Engineer who can help evaluate feedback from Swift users, diagnose problems with the compiler, and implement new compiler optimizations and language features.
- Able to understand compiler algorithms for manipulating and optimizing code
- Experience analyzing low-level program behavior, including performance and memory usage
- Comfortable documenting your work and explaining it to other engineers
- Willing to learn and assist with Swift development on non-Apple platforms
- Able to patiently negotiate with other stakeholders in order to collaboratively determine the best approach for solving sophisticated problems
We are seeking a results-oriented, upbeat and focused individual with a strong passion to learn and succeed. As a member of our team, you will routinely work with contributors from across the company and have regular interaction with engineers from outside of Apple. You will do the bulk of your work directly in the Swift open-source project on GitHub. Some of your work will be subject to the Swift Evolution process, which requires careful documentation of proposed new features and patient negotiation with other stakeholders to resolve the best solution. You will also help respond to bug reports and provide technical support to engineering teams who use Swift in their day-to-day work.
Education & Experience
BS/MS degree or equivalent years of experience in computer science or a related field. Apple's most important resource, our soul, is our people. Apple benefits help further the well-being of our employees and their families in meaningful ways. No matter where you work at Apple, you can take advantage of our health and wellness resources and time-away programs. We're proud to provide stock grants to employees at all levels of the company, and we also give employees the option to buy Apple stock at a discount - both offer everyone at Apple the chance to share in the company's success. You'll discover many more benefits of working at Apple, such as programs that match your charitable contributions, reimburse you for continuing your education and give you special employee pricing on Apple products. Apple benefits programs vary by country and are subject to eligibility requirements. Apple is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, Veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities. Apple is a drug-free workplace.
- - If possible, we'd love to see an example of your recent work, such as a personal project or open source contribution.
- - Since so much of our work requires careful collaboration, we're interested in hearing about past experiences in which you interacted closely with a diverse group of people with widely varying backgrounds or skills.
- - If you believe you have transferable skills, not listed on this posting, that would make you a good candidate please feel free to share that information via a Cover Letter.