Mechanical Machine Maintenance
Performs one or more of the following in a team environment:
- Analyzes machine failures, overhauls, dismantles, adjusts and makes general repairs to machines, machine tools and mechanical equipment which require accurate alignment and fitting to close limits.
- Builds or completely rebuilds machines, machine tools and mechanical equipment to new machine tolerances, redesigning, realigning and making any required new or replacement parts.
- Inspects and checks machines, machine tools and mechanical equipment, makes out inspection report as to condition of same and what major repairs are necessary in the near future in order to assure that repair parts are available when needed.
Types of Machines, Tools and Equipment Used or Operated:
Standard maintenance tools, precision measuring instruments, machines, machine tools and equipment such as grinders, lathes, planers, shapers, drill presses, block and tackle, hoists, cranes, jacks, rollers.
Work is not closely supervised, must maintain a safe work environment.
Details are dependent on duties assigned but in general consist of the following:
- Plans work sequence, obtains necessary tools and equipment to perform job.
- Works from prints, manufacturer’s instruction sheets or sketches as required.
- Completely overhauls complex machines.
- Operates all types of machines, and produces new or replacement parts to very close tolerances.
- Rebuilds equipment by dismantling and installing new parts, scraping and fitting to extremely close tolerances to obtain original alignment.
- Adjusts equipment for working clearances to close tolerances that are difficult to attain.
- Fits and aligns gears, shafts, wheels and attaches motors or aligns pulleys machines, machine tools and mechanical equipment.
- Checks and inspects equipment in location and makes necessary adjustments or repairs as required.
- Oils and greases equipment rebuilt and/or repaired.
- Lubricates and cleans equipment, cleans work area and performs other miscellaneous duties inherent to the job.
- Unload, dismantle, block, transport, and install pulleys, machines, machine tools and mechanical equipment.
- Make simple assembly fixtures, build temporary dies and fixtures and prepare new, worn or broken parts for welding or hard facing.
- Construct and install factory designed equipment such as racks, conveyors, powered conveyors, assembly fixtures, guards, shields.
- Instruct and assist in preparation of machine foundations. Prepare parts for welding or hard facing and perform cutting, tack welding or minor welding.
- Repairs parts by metal spraying.
- Layout and fabricate sheet metal.
- Direct the work of other team members.
- Works shifts (choice of shift based on seniority).
- Machine repair journeyman’s card and/or 8 years of industrial experience
- CNC Machine and factory machine repair experience
- Or – Military experience plus 4 years on-the-job training
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.