Executive Medical Director Luminis Health's Cancer Services
Luminis Health's Cancer Services includes the delivery of all cancer services within the Geaton Joann DeCesaris Cancer Institute (DCI), Anne Arundel Medical Center (AAMC), Doctors Community Medical Center (DCMC), and Doctors Regional Cancer Care (DRCC). The Service line operates in the context of our health system whose vision, mission and values serve as the foundation to our service our vision for a community Living Healthier Together serves as the state we ultimately hope to achieve with our patients, their families and the greater community. Our mission reflects our steadfast commitment to continually move the people we serve along the continuum of care to improve their health and wellbeing. Our seven values are our beliefs, attitudes and behaviors which guide all that we do.
The role of the Cancer Service Line to achieve our vision is to provide high value cancer care that is scientifically based and designed to exceed patient and family expectations. The LH Cancer Service Line includes strategic and operational leadership for the medical/providers, staff and cancer programs to include Medical, Surgical and Radiation Oncology physician practices and programs, cancer research, genetics, psychosocial support programs including social work, nutrition, nurse navigation, cancer prevention, community outreach, cancer survivorship, cancer registry and quality.
The Executive Medical Director Cancer Services ( EMD) will function in a dyad leadership model with the Vice President of the cancer service line. Together they are responsible for the continued development and creation of clinical programs to achieve goals. The EMD provides leadership to all aspects of the cancer service line with regard to strategic, operational, resource management, and educational efforts throughout the service. The EMD is a key clinical leader in the organization. The EMD will support the system CMO's, Chairs, Service Chiefs and medical directors in our matrixed organization in their efforts to achieve those strategic initiatives defined as critical to a thriving health system. This would include but are not limited to a framework of quality improvement, enhanced patient experience and a programmatic approach to decision making. Measures of success for this role include achieving high patient experience results, clinical quality outcomes, workforce wellbeing, growth and achievement of financial goals including Foundation/Development efforts.
The "applicant" may be a medical, surgical or radiation oncologist. The applicant will report directly to the President of Luminis Health's Care Enterprise (LCHE) and integrate care vertically and horizontally with a history of success working in a highly matrixed organization recognizing that this is a requirement to be an effective member of the leadership team at Luminis Health to include:
- Presidents AAMC, DCMC
- Chief Nursing Officers: AAMC, DCMC
- Chief Medical Officers: AAMC, DCMC
- Clinical Chairs
- Service Line leadership
- Chief Financial Officer
- General Counsel & Chief Legal Officer
- Chief Human Resources Officer
- Chief Information Officer
Essential Duties: The role of the Executive Medical Director of Cancer Services is to provide leadership though engagement and alignment of providers, patients, staff, payers and the community for cancer care. The primary focus of this position will be the achievement of high value cancer care through the creation of a cancer care delivery system that is patient & disease centered, cost efficient and outcome focused.
Strategic Objective: Reduce unwarranted variation in care; enhance consumer engagement in quality and experience/ enhance research, innovation and teaching and enhance coordination of care through facility redesign.
- Leads the creation of tumor site centers of excellence; select disease specific multidisciplinary medical leaders to develop a tumor site strategy ; recruit provider gaps
- Presents or publish and encourage others on behalf of Luminis Health regarding topics of relevance to departmental leadership, clinical improvements
- Identifies opportunities to improve operational efficiencies and resource allocation related to the delivery of care
- Leads cancer services for the journey towards a High Reliability Organization setting expectations for clinical excellence, harm reduction and high patient satisfaction.
- Reviews and analyzes performance data and present data to the respective Medicine, Surgery, Women's and Oncology Quality Councils and others as requested.
- Leads the planning efforts for Oncology CME and other professional development conferences
- Serves as the Chair of the ACoS CoC Cancer Committee
- Lead Providers in selection and implementation of care pathways/guidelines to reduce unwarranted variation in care
- Provides advice concerning participation in affiliation or other teaching agreements between system and educational institution
- Leads the implementation, development and growth of the LH cancer services research program in collaboration with the Research Institute including expansion of physician investigators
- Serves on the Research Advisory Board another research related initiatives or committees
- Provides oversight for compliance with the policies and procedures of the Anne Arundel Medical Center (AAMC), Doctors Community Medical Center (DCMC) Doctors Regional Cancer Care( DRCC), the Joint Commission (JC), American College of Radiology for Radiation Oncology (ACR), ACoS CoC and other accrediting agencies, and the Medical Staff Bylaws.
Strategic Objective: Expand care for chronic disease management in support of population health; Expand community understanding of an engagement in end of life decisions; address community health needs.
- Serves as clinical expert to lead and advance programs related to community outreach including development of speakers bureau, implementing care pathways and other guidelines
- Leads the development of a plan to address primary and secondary prevention efforts consistent with the goals of the State of Maryland and local health Departments Cancer Control plans and, community needs assessment.
- Supports the initiatives of the LH Gilchrest Palliative Care program to advance oncology palliative care and end of life care programs for the ambulatory oncology population
- Provides expertise and leadership to the CCN for all oncology related standards and care pathways
Strategic Objective: Enhance the ambulatory network and expand strategic footprint, key programs and services; diversify portfolio/ maintain edge in information and clinical technology
- Works collaboratively with appropriate Medical Staff and System leadership to develop annual goals consistent with the Annual Operating Plan (AOP)
- Participates in strategic planning functions of the health system
- Collaborates with LH leadership to increase market share in the primary and extended markets, assessing, and broadening the geographic reach, including participating in marketing efforts
- Develops and defines the LH cancer services satellite strategy
- Develops business case for expansion of services to unregulated sites including medical and radiation and ambulatory surgery centers sites
- Participates in guiding and developing the business case for specialty pharmacy and provides medical leadership for oncology specialty pharmacy
- Leads the development of a technology road map for LH cancer services including radiation, medicine and surgery
- Provides medical oversight for master planning efforts of co-location of clinical services and options to maximize patient experience and promulgate center of excellence concept
- Leads quality initiatives including the selection of areas of focus and appropriate process and outcome indicators; develop report card to leverage data collection and quality reporting to drive change and direct adherence to care pathways /guidelines
Strategic Objective Establish a succession plan for leaders administrative and Section Chiefs, medical directors; expand cultural competency and diversity of the workforce; recruit and retain physician leadership; use the wellbeing framework to improve employee, medical staff creating high engagement and low turnover across the system.
- Participates in succession planning and planned growth within Medical Staff specialties;
- Defines tumor site strategy and COE's
- Identifies gaps and priorities in disease experts and appoint physician leaders for major disease sites.
- Recruit physician specialties to support Luminis Health Cancer Services growth
Strategic ObjectiveSustain financial health and stability while reducing the cost of care and maintaining high quality services; reduce financial toxicity and increase price transparency; realign physician payment structure with program and system goals; increase foundation funding.
- Leads the development of an oncology specific pharmacy formulary to reduce variation in care
- Leads alignment of medical staff to value based or other alternative financial models
- Evaluates value based payment structures and align physician quality payment incentives with quality benchmarks and metrics to align with Total Cost of Cancer Care model
- Evaluates model of non-employed physicians for filling programs gaps though medical directorships
- Collaborates with the Foundation to advance access to grants, industry funding and grateful patient funds.
- Establishes business case for expanding the cancer program to off campus locations consistent with the Total Cost of Care and aligned with System goals.
Critical Competencies for Success:
The Executive Medical Director Cancer Services will serve as an exemplar of Luminis Health leadership, which includes Team leadership, change leadership and business leadership (TCB).
- Demonstrates the ability to collaborate across the system with multiple constituencies.
- Able to motivate, support and educate such that team members achieve the best of their abilities.
- Natural ability to mentor and coach others.
- Promotes clinician engagement.
- Able to lead in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Able to lead in an environment of change.
- Able to leverage knowledge, team and skills to achieve system goals.
- Possesses the ability to influence and communicate when there is need to evolve from the status quo.
- Create a trusting environment such that innovation is enhanced and risks can be assessed, measured and acted upon.
- Understanding of the requirements to manage broad, cultural changes within the health system.
- Drives change in an active manner setting the tone, urgency and persistence of work.
- Possesses resiliency in the face of conflict and challenges.
- Possesses business acumen and skill
- Ability to negotiate in order to achieve appropriate business goals
- Recognizes the need to develop and adhere to a series of measured goals.
- Utilizes business intelligence and analytics to gain insight into the healthcare marketplace
- Medical Degree with appropriate board certification
- Master's degree in public health or business administration preferred
- 7-10 years' experience in an administrative leadership role with associated responsibilities to include budget and quality
- Demonstrated leadership of multidisciplinary cancer care service across the continuum.
- Experience in value based or alternative payment models preferred
- Excellent communication skills.
- Experience leading in a matrixed organization reaching across the enterprise and working collaboratively with numerous constituencies.
- Master clinician associated with an academic stature that will enhance credibility across the health system.
- Demonstrated ability to recruit and mentor oncology specialists
- Evidence of successful research and scholarly activities
- Experience working in an academic medical center or complex teaching environment
- Licensed to practice in the State of Maryland; Board Certified
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.