The Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB) is the largest coalition of biomedical researchers, representing 30 scientific societies and over 130,000 researchers from around the world. FASEB is recognized as the policy voice of biological and biomedical researchers. Our mission is to advance health and well-being by promoting research and education in biological and biomedical sciences through collaborative advocacy and service to our societies and their members.
FASEB is seeking an experienced Community Manager to help launch its new data workspace program area and build capacity for data sharing and re-use across the biological and biomedical research communities that FASEB serves.
Reporting to the Director, Strategic Scientific Program Advancement, the Community Manager is an independent and motivated team member whose primary function is to support the development of the FASEB data re-use workspace by helping the community choose, configure, and use approaches and technologies to best serve their needs. The Community Manager is an excellent communicator, combining tactical, deliberate actions with emotionally and culturally sensitive leadership, to broker connections between community members, support open knowledge sharing, and co-create a shared vision for the workspace. This includes creating workspace materials and resources, promoting the workspace through community programs, partnerships, cultivating actionable insights, and providing highly responsive member support.
This position requires an individual with a strong foundation in research and data management, technical and social media skills, and an ability and desire to engage with a variety of stakeholders. Applicants must have demonstrated excellence in writing and communication skills, a demonstrated ability to master evolving technologies, and an understanding of scholarly research infrastructures.
- Developing a strategic stakeholder engagement plan
- Planning, coordinating, and executing community workshops, webinars, and presentations with FASEB staff and consultants for a variety of internal and external stakeholder audiences including FASEB member institutions, funders, and researchers
- Developing and maintaining workspace content and social media campaigns
- Collecting and providing community feedback to the management and stakeholders.
- Acting as a liaison for the sharing of common practices
- Managing and recommending improvements in workspace tools and practices
- Analyzing key performance indicators (KPIs).
Skills and Experience:
- Bachelors degree and/or 3-5 years professional experience in research data management, library and information studies, or scholarly communications, with a preference for experience in the biological and biomedical sciences.
- Experience with data management tools and basic programming experience in R, Python, or other relevant software languages
- Exceptional communication skills and experience working across stakeholder groups; ability to listen deeply, prioritize effectively, and accomplish tasks in a dynamic, independent environment
- Team player with demonstrated ability to adapt to changing environments and multiple deadlines, and to work with discretion, tact, and good judgement
- Familiarity working with committees and supporting a not-for-profit governance structure
- Experience with website content management systems
- Motivated and results-driven, with a high-level of energy, enthusiasm, and initiative
- Project management, facilitation, and/or training experience
- Relevant professional experience supporting users in a technical environment, including process improvement and/or technical documentation experience
Applicants must be eligible to work in the United States. FASEB is located in Rockville, Maryland, near an accessible Metro station and major bus lines. Remote work will be considered for this role, but the candidate must be able to travel to the Washington, DC metropolitan area for quarterly project and governance meetings.
Compensation and Benefits:
Salary is competitive with nonprofit science and technology organizations of comparable size and based in the Washington, DC area. This is a full-time, exempt position. FASEB offers exceptional benefits including professional development opportunities, 403-B retirement, medical, dental and vision insurance, life insurance, short- and long-term disability, and free parking for on-site work.
For full consideration, please submit a resume with salary requirements in the cover letter to http://www.faseb.org/employment. References will be requested for applicants selected for interviews. The position will remain open until filled.
To learn more about FASEB, please visit https://faseb.org/
FASEB is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws.