This position is specifically for video journalists, not those pursuing broadcast or film careers.
USA TODAY, is looking for a creative Video Producer to join the Video Production Center (VPC) to create news content.
The Video Producer will create, produce and edit video on demand, live video streams and article content for the USA TODAY NETWORK websites and social media platforms. The Video Producer may produce breaking news, trending news or series video content. Their duties will include generating story ideas, producing news videos, writing scripts, finding videos from third party partners, programming videos, assigning others to cover stories and coordinating news coverage with the USA TODAY Network.
The Video Producer should be a motivated, self-starter who can multi-task and communicate effectively with Senior-level management, clients at newsrooms across the country and other VPC team members.
You must be a talented writer and storyteller, comfortable producing news video and supporting articles for desktop, mobile and social media. The Video Producer will be responsible for managing news video packages from start to finish, including writing, video editing and social media optimization.
They also will be responsible for providing live video streams for the USA TODAY NETWORK. The video producer is responsible for supervising, assigning and managing the daily work of both Video Editors and Associate Video Producers as well as overseeing the end product. They will ensure that all content is technically and editorially sound.
The Video Producers will review headlines, descriptions, scripts, social posts, blogs and other text produced by the VPC team for factual accuracy, sourcing, balance, libel, tone, errors in grammar/spelling/style. They will ensure that content is up to date and accurate and editorially sound.
Candidates must submit link to work examples. Prior digital news experience is required.
- Make assignments, supervise and provide feedback on daily work of team members, participate in performance reviews.
- Coordinate live and on demand video coverage with National Desk Managers and leadership of the USA TODAY NETWORK.
- Determine daily live and on demand news video coverage to be sure VPC is producing and distributing best content across USA TODAY NETWORK properties, make editorial decisions, manage rights on video content, and be able to create content for a social audience in mind.
- Supervise and produce live video coverage of breaking news event. Generate story ideas, assign and supervise production of video content.
- Flexible and able to react to change productively and handle other essential tasks as needed.
- Bachelor's or masters degree in communications, journalism or related field or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 years+ experience which must include newsroom experience.
- Must have experience with video production and producing video for digital platforms.
- Must have experience working for a news organization.
- Is confident navigating social media, including writing, scheduling and optimizing posts and able to create video for different platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Self-starter, who can work without direction.
- Experience with Adobe Premiere, Photoshop and After Effects.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen (for driving roles only).
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter detailing your related experience and information explaining why you thinkyou are the right person for the job. If you do not include a cover letter, you will not be considered.
3. Links to 5 online samples of digital storytelling. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.