The Hispanic Outreach Specialist works to build on current pre-college services and enhance outreach activities to build trusted relationships and on-going community dialogues between UW-Platteville and tristate Hispanic communities. Provide consistent outreach to these communities to create an educational pipeline and access for students within these communities.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and written in English and Spanish.
- Knowledge of Hispanic communities, the dynamics within and issues they may face.
- Knowledge of the K-12 education system.
- Working knowledge of college readiness, financial literacy and recruitment strategies that affect access to education, retention, and achievement gap for underrepresented minority students.
- Current and valid driver’s license and ability to travel.
- Requires a professional who is detail-oriented, takes direction well, has the capacity to be a leader and a role model, and can work both independently and in a team setting.
- Knowledge of outreach methods and activities for historically underrepresented students.
- Experience in community organizing/event planning.
- Ability to understand, interpret laws, regulations, policies, guidelines and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively and work with diverse clientele in a team environment.
- Ability to provide dynamic hands-on activities, lead community discussions and provide engaging presentations to students, families and community members.