Data Science and Visualization Specialist - Product Design
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Sep 27, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200292147
The Data Science and Visualization (DataViz) team at Apple is currently seeking an enthusiastic team player to join our small, supportive, inclusive, and dynamic team as a Data Scientist and Visualization Specialist. The DataViz team collaborates with a variety of partners within Apple to distill data into actionable and intuitive visualizations that drive informed decisions. We work cooperatively to understand challenging problems that arise during all stages of product design at Apple. The job requires collaborative work, fluency using statistics and visualizations to answer specific questions about datasets, proficient programming skills in R or Python, and most importantly, a passion for creating informative visualizations and presentations to communicate results to all levels of the company. We encourage anyone who approaches problem solving with curiosity and imagination to apply. We value people with a desire to learn new skills and a mindset that views challenging questions as opportunities for insight. The DataViz team enables data-driven decision making by performing analysis, modeling, and visualization of unstructured data for engineering and research design teams. Our unique position within the organization allows us to assist other teams on a wide range of products designed at Apple. Our work impacts products used by millions of people worldwide.
- No single candidate will come in with all desired qualifications - above all else we're looking for someone with an eagerness and ability to learn new skills and solve dynamic problems in a collaborative, supportive, and inclusive environment.
- Experience programming in R or Python. You have experience using these tools to import, clean, analyze and visualize data to enable data-driven decision making.
- Experience using statistics to identify trends and anomalies in multivariate and/or medium- sized datasets using conventional statistical techniques. Our datasets are typically not large enough to employ deep learning techniques.
- Experience writing code to generate visualizations that enable deeper insight into data.
- Strong interest in peer collaboration and teamwork and a willingness to solicit input and accept feedback.
- An appreciation of functional design or interested in developing your design aesthetic.
- Excitement and passion to communicate important information in an easily understandable
- WORTH MENTIONING:
- The varied nature of the problems our team handles means that there is a lot of room for your other skills to also be of use. We mention this here so you will include them in your resume if present, but they are not required for the role.
- Experience analyzing and visualizing 3D data sets or enthusiastic about delving deeper into 3D data analysis and visualization. Our datasets include human anthropometric and biometric data, acoustic data and inertial motion unit data (accelerometers, gyroscopes, altimeters).
- Experience using Natural Language Processing to analyze text data or eager to learn more. Our work in this space usually involves topic modeling, sentiment analysis, and interactive visualization of free form text from user studies and surveys.
- Experience creating interactive data visualizations using Shiny or d3 + React or a keen interest in building up that part of your skillset.
As a member of this team-oriented, collaborative group, you will be working on the latest, most innovative Apple products together with many cross-functional teams. Your responsibilities will include some of the following activities: - Writing scripts to preprocess data from various sources and formats. - Conducting data exploration on datasets, QA/QC, visualization, statistical and data analyses, and mathematical modeling. - Creating custom visualizations that help decision makers quickly understand the data. - Collaborating with cross-functional teams to help identify trends in their data or to build tools that will enable easier analysis and visualizations in the future. - The role will require close collaboration with DataViz team members and members of other cross-functional teams, with many opportunities to practice and grow communication skills. You'll have a lot of latitude to define how you work; specific tools matter less than the lateral thinking they enable. This is a truly unique opportunity that exposes you to many different teams at Apple.
Education & Experience
Masters degree in an analytical field such as (but not limited to) Computer Science, Engineering, Statistics, Applied Math, Physics, Biological Sciences, Robotics, Climate or Environmental Science, Computer Graphics, or Animation, along with 2+ years relevant work experience. Ph.D. degree preferred.