Advanced Inspection Engineer (Manufacturing Quality Engineering)
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Posted: Sep 27, 2021
Role Number: 200291341
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple and help us leave the world better than we found it. Our team is responsible for the development of the inspection equipment that determines if a product meets Apple's high standards across all of the mechanical portion of hardware we make - iPhone, Mac, iPad, Watch and others
- 2+ years' experience applying computer or machine vision or machine learning techniques to build models that are deployable into a manufacturing environment
- Software development skills
- Knowledge of basic networking concepts and protocols, e.g.: TCP/IP, HTTP, etc.
- Experience with 2D/3D triangulation laser system and/or CCD inspection system such as Halcon, Keyence, Cognex, and/or Visco
- Familiar with mechanical metrology system qualification process, such as GRR, Correlation, Stability and Reliability
- Understanding of optics, image acquisition, software filtering and judgment algorithms.
- Basic understanding of manufacturing processes (i.e. CNC, modeling, laser welding, etc)
- Intermediate knowledge of automation including system layout, architecture, and cycle time optimization for optical, motion and mechanical systems
- Ability to Travel approximately 25-50% of the time
- Must have strong interest and understanding of technical details whilst simultaneously have a firm grasp of the big picture as it relates to overall final product quality
- Creative and collaboration will be key in excelling in this role.
- Proficient use of English both written and oral
It takes a strong background to qualify for this job. As an applicant, you will explain not just how to build solution or models to answer problems, but how to deploy models. These systems will be responsible for judgement of millions of units per day in a challenging production environment. There is a bit of being like a start-up where you'll occasionally have to wear multiple hats - sometimes you'll need to be a technical project manager, other time you'll need to deep dive into databases, while at other times you'll need to work with optics improvements to be able to see defects consistently so that you can then drive inspection and ML advancements. You will be required to balance technical requirements while effectively managing collaborations with vendors to maintain schedule and ramp dates. Nice to Have Demonstrated technical skills in Machine or Computer Vision as well Machine Learning (CNNs, object detection) Proficiency with Python, CLI, Linux and Unix shell scripting Experience with cloud computing platforms AWS and deployment tools like docker Experience building Software ML solutions - all the way from inception to production. Proficiency in Python is preferred. Experienced user of machine learning and statistical-analysis libraries, such as Turi Create, PyTorch, Keras, Scikit-learn, SciPy. Ability to explain and present analyses and machine learning concepts to a broad technical audience. International team leadership: Academic or Professional Work Experience
Education & Experience
B.Sc. in Mechanical Engineering, Computer Science, Systems Design, Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience. M. Sc. or PhD is a plus