Manufacturing Design Engineer - Additive Manufacturing
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Operations and Supply Chain
Posted: Sep 27, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200291014
Imagine what you could do here. At Apple, new ideas have a way of becoming extraordinary products, services, and customer experiences very quickly. Bring passion and dedication to your job and there's no telling what you could accomplish. The people here at Apple don't just create products - they create the kind of wonder that's revolutionized entire industries. It's the diversity of those people and their ideas that inspires the innovation that runs through everything we do, from amazing technology to industry-leading environmental efforts. Join Apple, and help us leave the world better than we found it. The Apple Manufacturing Design Engineer (MDE) is accountable for leading the development and implementation of high precision mechanical manufacturing processes across Apple's worldwide supply base. In this highly visible hands-on role, you will have direct frequent communication and collaboration with Apple Industrial Design, Product Design, and Manufacturing Design partners, as well as our worldwide suppliers. The MDE role is empowered and expected to bring creativity to Apple's manufacturing approach, enabling us to deliver our best work to as many customers as possible.
- 2+ years of experience in mechanical product development, manufacturing engineering, tooling engineering, high precision fabrication, or similar roles
- Able to apply core principles of Design of Experiment, Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing, and Statistical Process Control
- Utilizes a hands-on approach to engineering and problem-solving
- Demonstrates commitment and tenacity; a self-starter who learns quickly and adapts to find new solutions in the face of adversity
- Communicates technical information clearly and persuasively in both written and verbal forms, adapting content to suit the intended audience
- Employs project management tools to effectively plan and track work to completion; diligent and reliable in executing tasks independently
- Experience on the shop floor, in a hobby or professional context, is helpful
- Experience working with highly cosmetic parts or products is preferred
- Ability to travel 25%+ is required
As an MDE, you'll lead the creation, evaluation, and implementation of end-to-end manufacturing solutions for key design features on Apple's products. You will ensure our manufacturing solutions meet our product quality, cost, yield, capacity, schedule, and environmental goals.
Evaluate product and design goals to understand the dimensional, cosmetic, and functional priorities for the product
Collaborate with Global Supply Managers and Apple's suppliers to align on a manufacturing development strategy with clear goals, expectations, and schedules
Identify and validate suitable fabrication equipment and processes to meet all Apple design and operational requirements
Develop and document processes including all parameters, consumables and secondary operation requirements to meet defined specifications
Conduct process optimization DOE's, using data and hands-on approaches together to find solutions to sophisticated challenges
Communicate ongoing process development status to functional teams and lead discussions to align design requirements with manufacturing capability
Provide leadership at global manufacturing sites during development and production ramp, traveling internationally, identifying root causes of open issues and driving corrective actions to timely resolution In this role you'll:
Collaborate with internal partners and equipment suppliers to develop and refine metal additive manufacturing processes and equipment
Optimize additive manufacturing processes for Apple cosmetic, dimensional quality, reliability, and throughput requirements. Develop methods to model and characterize key performance indicators in additive manufacturing.
Support Product Design in development of metal alloys for additive manufacturing utilizing knowledge of 3D printing systems, powdered metallurgy, binding systems, and debind-sinter-HIP processes
Provide expert level support to project teams utilizing metal additive manufacturing to bring designs from concept to mass production
Develop best in class qualification plans and procedures to qualify additive manufacturing equipment and materials utilizing DQ/IQ/OQ/PQ
Education & Experience
BS or higher in mechanical, manufacturing, industrial engineering, or related fields preferred
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We take affirmative action to ensure equal opportunity for all applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other legally protected characteristics. Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- Apple will consider for employment all qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable law.
- Apple participates in the E-Verify program in certain locations as required by law.
- Apple is committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodation to applicants with physical and mental disabilities.
- Apple is a drug-free workplace.