GIS Systems Integration Administrator (ITP-B, BU)
Salary $44.12 - $66.21 Hourly
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2021-01362
Closing 10/12/2021 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for a GIS Systems Integration Administrator with the Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (IT).
As a city, Seattle is known to be a progressive leader in technology advancement, innovation, and responsible environment stewardship. As an employer, the City of Seattle is recognized as a leader in local government in many progressive policies. The organization's workforce plays a critical role in making this all possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle's complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team and set best practices for others to follow. If this is something that excites you then please consider this opportunity to help shape the future of Seattle together by joining Seattle IT.
The GIS Systems Integration Administrator is a member of the GIS Operations team, which is part of the six-team GIS & CADD section residing in Seattle IT’s Applications Division. GIS Operations is responsible for the administration of the City of Seattle’s enterprise GIS platform including GIS servers, geodatabase instances, web/map services and software (desktop and server), custom and vendor applications, GIS Open Data, and more. The team also manages critical GIS integrations with other enterprise business systems, including Customer Care and Billing (CCB), Maximo, Infor/Hanson, Accela, and others. The GIS Systems Integration Administrator will work collaboratively with other members of the GIS and CADD section to ensure the proper administration and monitoring of the many automated system integration processes along with other assigned system or GIS related tasks to ensure a stable and sustainable GIS platform.
The GIS Systems Integration Administrator requires a highly technical background in GIS concepts and Esri technology stack, as well as strong problem-solving and communication skills. This position will require an individual who is dedicated to the delivery of Best-in-Class GIS and IT solutions. The selected individual will also help support continuous improvement efforts to align GIS systems with the needs of our client departments and strategic goals set forth by Seattle IT.
The GIS Systems Integration Administrator will be responsible for the administration and troubleshooting of the City’s automated system integration processes, working collaboratively with other team members optimizing geodatabase instances, and supporting the use of other spatial data stores. The work of this position is responsible for monitoring, administering, and troubleshooting various integrations between GIS and other business systems. This includes process monitoring to ensure optimal GIS integration with other business systems, ensuring availability of current and valid GIS data from such integrations, conducting system integration process reviews, and administering the infrastructure involved in the integration operations.
- Working collaboratively with the GIS Data Integration Administrator to perform GIS and business system integration administration on approximately 270 integration processes.
- Monitor the integration processes by using ArcGIS Monitor, ArcGIS Server Manager, SolarWinds and custom in-house monitoring tools to report integrations status and sending alerts to notify the GIS Operations team of errors.
- Under the direction of the GIS Database Administrator, review and advise on spatial data models that are used to support system integration processes.
- Working together with other GIS Operations team members to troubleshoot integration between business systems and GIS applications on an as needed basis.
- Using Python and the ArcPy modules to automate workflows to support the integration processes.
- Working collaboratively with the GIS Operations team to continuously improve processes, procedures and standards to ensure stable, secure and scalable enterprise GIS platform that meets defined operating service levels and disaster recovery requirements.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Geography or a closely related field, or an equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- 5+ years experience with Esri suite of desktop and web software.
- 5+ years proven experience in administering and managing GIS databases and servers.
- 5+ years of GIS system integration experience with one or more business systems.
- 3+ years scripting experience using Python (ArcPy).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; ability to express complex technical topics and issues to numerous audience types.
- Strong experience in integrating GIS data with data from one or more business systems (e.g. Accela, Maximo, Infor/Hansen, and others)
- Proficient experience administering and troubleshooting Esri enterprise geodatabase instances and ArcGIS servers.
- Experience in data modeling and RDBMS concepts.
- Experience operating within an Oracle, MS SQL Server or other major RDBMS environment
- Familiarity with ArcGIS Monitor, Orion SolarWinds or other system health monitoring tools
- Ability to work collaboratively and build trust with customers and peers.
- Understanding of the importance of teamwork, building relationships and facilitation with customers.
- Strong oral and written communication skills to convey technical information to non-technical staff or customers; commitment to excellent customer service.
- Proven ability to proactively solve problems and recommend solutions. Strong analytical and critical thinking skills. Process orientation with strong attention to detail.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, use good judgment and discretion, and interact with diverse workforce within the City and customer base.
- Experience with the installation configuration, and administration of Esri desktop and ArcGIS server software.
- Familiarity with Azure DevOps and automated pipeline deployment (continuous delivery).
- Experience with database level programming (I.e. PL/SQL (Oracle), T-SQL (MS SQL))
- Experience with local government and/or utility/transportation GIS data structures.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader)
for more information.
How to Apply:
To be considered for this position, please submit your cover letter, resume and application to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/.
As of October 18, 2021, City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th.People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
This position is open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status, disability, religious or political affiliation, age, sexual orientation, or gender identity. ITD encourages people of all backgrounds to apply.
NOTE: Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance SMC 14.17. Background investigation may include CJIS certification conducted under the purview of Seattle Police Department.
This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104