Business Systems Analyst (ITP-B, BU)
Salary $44.12 - $66.21 Hourly
Location Seattle, WA
Job Type Classified Civil Service, Regular, Full-Time
Department Seattle Information Technology
Job Number 2021-01357
Closing 10/12/2021 4:00 PM Pacific
The City of Seattle is seeking candidates for a Business Systems Analyst (BSA) with the Applications Division in Seattle Information Technology (Seattle IT).
As a city, Seattle is known as a progressive leader in technology, innovation, and the environment. As an employer, the City of Seattle is leading local government in environmental stewardship and social justice amongst other things, making our City what it is today and shaping our exciting future. The organization’s workforce plays a critical role in making this possible.
Seattle IT is the technology backbone of the City of Seattle’s complex operations and its ability to deliver a wide array of services for the residents of Seattle. The 600+ strong professionals in Seattle IT are involved in the full spectrum of a modern IT enterprise offering many dynamic career opportunities. Our vision is simple: be a Best-in-Class digital services delivery team
and set best practices for others to follow.
The Business Systems Analyst (BSA) will work as part of the Government and Community Services Team. This team supports multiple applications including the Infor Public Sector (IPS) application, a critical business application used by the Seattle Department of Transportation (SDOT) to support Asset Management, Collision Tracking, Work Management, Inspections, and other SDOT business functions. In this role you will provide expert guidance to the SDOT business staff on how to use technology to support business goals, identify opportunities for system improvements, other application integrations such as GIS and PeopleSoft, and assist with prioritization of the requested improvements. You will develop business and system requirements, configure the application, test and implement changes, assist with data management and reporting, map and develop business processes or procedures and train business staff as requested. Projects range in size from simple configuration change requests to more complex multi-month projects, requiring good project management and team leadership skills.
Here’s more of what you’ll be doing:
- Engage and facilitate efforts with SDOT business and Seattle IT staff to identify enhancements to IPS and define scope and schedule for the prioritized enhancements.
- Coordinate work with the Seattle IT development team to prioritize work and ensure they have the needed resources and information to meet customer commitments.
- Coordinate projects with Seattle IT GIS analysts to ensure data is available on internal and public maps.
- Support system integration projects and coordinate with other Seattle IT developers.
- Gather information on business and system requirements from stakeholders by performing research, facilitating workshops, and conducting interviews.
- Research and analyze business processes, and develop business process diagrams and associated documentation to describe current and future-state business processes with a goal of achieving improved efficiency, usability and reduced cost.
- Document detailed business requirements, business rules and functional requirements.
- Assess system capabilities and configuration options to meet business requirements, working with other Seattle IT staff as needed.
- Configure the IPS application to implement changes, including configuration of dashboards, business rules, workflows and screens
- Develop requirements for interfaces and reports, and help support the development work for those interfaces and reports.
- Design, code, test, and implement data updates (both one-time and regularly scheduled) to accommodate user requirements.
- Manage small and medium sized project level enhancements from the proposal phase through implementation.
- Create test plans, write test procedures, test, and work with business staff for end-user testing.
- Develop and deliver training and training references on system functions, working with business partners to meet business objectives.
- Perform data analysis, develop complex queries, and assist other divisional data analysts to support data-driven decision-making in the department. Create ad-hoc queries as needed for SDOT customers.
- Provide tier three support; troubleshoot reported incidents, identify and implement solutions. Work with vendor to resolve product defects as required.
- Follow established project or departmental review and approval processes and standards for all work.
- Work with other application areas as needed to meet Seattle IT's standard levels of service.
- Support department goals in promoting diversity, race and social justice.
- This position requires occasional non-standard working hours.
NOTE: Equivalent combinations of education and experience will be considered for the required qualifications.
- Five years in-depth experience as a business systems analyst.
- Ability to work independently while maintaining appropriate communications with manager about progress and issues.
- Good general knowledge of database structures and tools (such as SQL, Oracle, MS Access, etc.), including the ability to design and execute queries.
- Ability to work independently and manage time well to meet project milestones and deadlines while maintaining appropriate communications with supervisor about progress and issues.
- Ability to manage scope, cost, and schedules it pertains to areas of responsibility and keep the project manager and manager informed of changes and impact to assigned projects.
- Excellent communication and facilitation skills, including strong writing skills (spelling, grammar, and clarity.)
- Able to communicate with both technical and business staff in a multi-cultural workplace with a diverse customer base.
- Bachelor's degree in computer science, computer technology or equivalent field or experience.
- Knowledge and experience supporting the Infor/IPS application.
- Experience developing Oracle queries, stored procedures, and scripts.
- Experience implementing off-the-shelf business applications, including gap-fit analyses, capabilities assessments, design, configuration and testing.
- Experience with asset and work management applications and business process.
- Experience developing requirements, design and technical specifications for data interfaces and automated data management procedures.
- Experience with data analysis and presenting data results at a management level, including development of dashboards, charts, etc.
- Vendor management and vendor relationship experience.
- Organizational change management experience.
- Experience using standard Software Development Lifecycle (SDLC) templates to create requirements, design and technical specification documentation.
- Ability to identify and document risks, opportunities and efficiencies related to assigned work.
- Experience working with one or more off-the-shelf maintenance management systems.
- Experience working in government and/or public sector, especially with Transportation departments.
- Experience developing reports or data interfaces.
Employees of the City of Seattle enjoy competitive pay and comprehensive benefits package generous leave programs, and the satisfaction of doing work that helps make Seattle a great place to live, work, and play. Explore City of Seattle – Benefits at a Glance (Download PDF reader) for more information.
How to Apply: Please submit your application, resume, and cover letter to https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/seattle/.
As of October 18, 2021, City of Seattle employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. If hired, you will be required to submit proof of vaccination by October 18th. People are considered fully vaccinated two weeks after their second dose in a two-dose series or two weeks after a single-dose vaccine. Employees may make requests for a reasonable accommodation based on a medical disability or for sincerely held religious beliefs. Philosophical, political, scientific, or sociological objections to vaccination will not be considered for an exemption or accommodation.
Employment contingent upon successful completion of comprehensive background investigation in compliance with Seattle's Fair Change Employment Ordinance 14.17. This position is open to all candidates who meet the minimum qualifications. The Seattle Information Technology Department values diverse perspectives and life experiences. Applicants will be considered regardless of race, color, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, marital status. NOTE: This position is covered by a collective bargaining unit; International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers, Local 77.
City of Seattle
Seattle Municipal Tower
700 5th Avenue, Suite 5500
Seattle, Washington, 98104