This position is responsible for providing patient navigation in the area of colorectal cancer prevention and education on the dangers of tobacco use by effective collaboration with other members of the health care team. Supports the CPEST initiative and functions as the role of case manager.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Consistently assures that all appropriate patients/clients are identified and recruited to participate in various cancer prevention/tobacco cessation programs and determines eligibility for CPEST program services.
- Develops, individualizes and implements a plan of care with regard to screening, diagnosis, and treatment processes for each identified patient in accordance with established standards, polices, procedures and guidelines. Continuously evaluates the effectiveness of the plan of care, making revisions and recommendations based on analysis of patient responses to interventions.
- Using established procedures, responsible for coordinating and conducting follow-up activities for identified patients, including, but not limited to telephone calls and mailings.
- According to hospital policy and program standards, will be responsible for assuring the proper collection and maintenance of all program data and will assist with maintaining and analyzing patient databases including conducting monthly Quality Assurance on data.
- Performs other duties as assigned (e.g., participate in community outreach and education and work with program manager to obtain provider contracts)
Required Minimum Education. The minimum level of education for this position includes: Associate degree in nursing
Required Minimum Experience:
Three (3) years nursing experience in GI medical/surgical nursing, case management, or patient navigation.
Bilingual in Spanish preferred
Current licensure as a registered nurse by the Maryland Board of Nursing
Adherence to the credentialing requirements of DCMC as stated in the nursing bylaws.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
Must have high level of interpersonal and communication skills to handle sensitive and confidential situations. Knowledge of behavior change as it relates to cancer prevention and tobacco cessation is highly desired.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
There is reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of duties, responsibilities or requirements.