Location: Mequon - Wisconsin
This is a key position within a Rockwell Automation's product R&D organization, setting the foundation for future generations of Drive products and accessories. The successful candidate will participate in the development of new product functional and architectural specifications, optimizing and balancing the following goals: business objectives, costs, performance, security, simplicity, time to market, reusability, maintainability, safety and overall user experience at inception and throughout a product's lifecycle.
- This associate owns the Product architecture roadmap and keeps abreast on current disruptive and accelerating new technologies. Leads the system integration, while partnering closely with product management to deliver new product concepts that support a common architecture vision strategy.
- Effectively collaborates with peer architects and subject matter experts to facilitate delivery of simplified and differentiated products and solutions that solve real-world customer problems at the best cost points. Leads cross functional teams within the organization to solve architectural and implementation goals and problems with innovative and practical solutions.
- Delivers and supports the deployment of re-usable engineering content and leads any associated knowledge capture to expand and/or modify that content to support business objectives.
- Create system and/or product level architectural documents that clearly explain the functionality and interfacing between subsystems and components a the right level for implementation by engineering.
- Support the development of the system integration and management plan. This includes identifying proof of concept deliverables, defining logical work sequencing, and mapping a clear process for product integration.
- Act as independent voice in liaising between product management and functional/technical leads within the business for the purpose of clarifying requirements, understanding concepts and issues, and resolving problems and anomalies.
- Work collaboratively with the program functional roles to identify system deliverables, their interactions and executional inter-dependencies.
- Collaborate with the corporate Common Architecture Team (CAT) to coordinate features highlighted in System Release activities with the Drives business.
- Capable to influence decisions at various business unit levels at RA
Information Processing Capability
- Possesses a strong product, system and customer view, is an abstract thinker, and can step away from the details to look at "the big picture" and convey architectural benefits and features in a simplified manner.
- Able to create clarity from ambiguity.
- Can lead a cross functional team of Architects (System and Functional) assembled to work as a high-performance team to deliver world class functional architectures for various products.
- Leads and coordinates cross BU technical alignment from a system mindset point of view.
- Able to provide leadership in identifying strategic needs, drafting a vision, selling the vision, and executing against the strategic initiatives.
- Demonstrates thought leadership via customer support, presentations and white papers
- Able to breakdown product designs into re-usable architectural parts for purposes of estimation and evaluation
- Creator of business value, differentiation, cost competitiveness, and business strategy enablement
- Effective leader with ability to lead, inspire and develop others to deliver their best performance.
- Highly resilient and pursues tasks with a driven purpose and a sense of urgency. Consistently moves problems toward resolution and helps others to do the same.
- Committed to developing strong relationships and collaborative partnerships. Understands and supports the goals and initiatives of other businesses and functional support organizations.
- Effective collaborator and innovation enabler while embracing and sharing ideas and engaging others to improve and realize potential innovations.
- High performance team member who helps the team win as a group by expanding the team's strengths and motivating peers
- Provides technical leadership for other teams or the mentoring of less-experienced engineers.
- Strong collaborator, can effectively interact at various levels and multiply their value through others
Accepts Role Requirements:
- Presents product architecture plans and/or concepts to senior executives when necessary.
- Passionate about leading and developing teams with a track record of mentoring and developing talent.
- Manages varying priorities and pre-consideration design requests, etc.
- Provide leadership for key marketing and product initiatives.
- Influential leader who is viewed as a technical stakeholder manager, able to effectively compile and sell ideas with strategic messaging and compelling communication skills
- Demonstrate ability to lead by influence and example rather than by command or direct authority
- Able to interact effectively with people from multiple technical disciplines as well as at different levels within the organization.
- Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering.
- Up to 10% travel
- Legal authorization to work in the US or country is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- Graduate degree in Computer Science, network/product security or Computer Engineering, or equivalent in-depth knowledge and experience.
- Minimum of 10 years system level design experience in the areas of automation control systems, network communications and topology, embedded real-time control systems, inter-processor communications, and multi-layered control architecture.
- Minimum of 8 years working as a design lead and technical leader - Proven ability to influence change and build effective partnerships in a matrixed environment.
- General understanding of automation control system architecture including controllers, IO, operator control, sensors, feedback devices, visualization and reporting.
- Broad understanding of operational product/system functional interactions within products utilizing multiple engineering disciplines such as: Power, Control, Electrical/ Mechanical, Digital Hardware, FPGAs, Firmware, Communications, Safety, Security, and connected Software Tools or User Interfaces
- Understands how customers use motor drive products and how they fit into target applications and system environments.
- Understands the competitive landscape for our technology and products.
- Demonstrated ability to drive innovation and differentiation.
- Proficient in the design of motor drive and motion systems containing safety, security, and motion control with information sharing across one or more controllers and devices supporting practical industrial applications including network data harvesting to cloud-based entities.
- Experience in industrial and commercial communications, including CIP networks, safety, security, networked safety, and embedded software/firmware product development with a practical emphasis on the applied technologies, analysis, design, programming, and testing of real-time systems.
- Experience with Rockwell Automation products such as PowerFlex, ControlLogix, Studio 5000, Kinetix
- Breath of knowledge and expertise across multiple engineering disciplines
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor for position level and compensation
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).