We have a rare business opportunity available to become an Independent Distributor of The Oregonian and other newspapers in the Portland Metro Area.
WHAT IS AN INDEPENDENT DISTRIBUTOR? An independent distributor is a self-employed businessperson who negotiates and signs a contract to provide agreed upon results. An independent distributor is not an employee of The Oregonian Publishing Company. As an independent distributor, you control the operation of your own business and provide your distribution services to the public at large. For most distributorships, you need to hire or contract an assistant and contract an appropriate number of carriers to deliver the newspaper routes. The number of assistants and carriers will depend on the volume of newspapers being delivered.
MORE ABOUT THE BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY: An Independent Distributor is responsible for coordinating the delivery of multiple local and national publications, including Oregon's #1 newspaper within a select geographic area. Revenue generated is based on the number of papers delivered or sold and how the expenses involved in providing papers are managed. The profit potential of any delivery area can be maximized by managing expenses well and providing excellent delivery results. A distributor can net $100,000 annually, depending on the distribution area.
Independent Distributors fulfill their contractual obligations full-time year-round. Our top distributors are highly motivated, goal-oriented professionals that enjoy the freedom of managing their own business with minimal upfront costs. If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, are driven, and have an exceptional work ethic, you will thrive in this opportunity.
QUALIFICATIONS, KNOWLEDGE, and SKILLS: You are a Dependable, Organized, Self-Starter, with Excellent Management, Communication and Customer Service skills. You can work both in the office and in your assigned territory on the road in the early a.m. hours. This is not an entry level opportunity. We are looking for someone who wants to run their own business for the long term.
Main Responsibilities of an Independent Distributor:
- Accurately distribute all newspaper products to customers in timely manner.
- Recognize and resolve potential problems such as shortages, late carriers, open routes and late papers. React in a timely manner to resolve the problem and notify proper personnel to minimize impact to customers.
- Maintain a clean, efficient and safe warehouse environment for the products you distribute and for the carriers and assistants you do business with.
- Manage and direct contractors and/or employees to accomplish daily activities and ensure customers receive superior service.
- Maintain stockroom inventory tracking system for national products and supplies needed to accomplish day to day activities.
- Manage all recruiting, orientating and payment of carriers and assistants.
- Provide leadership to carriers and assistants.
- Management Experience.
- STRONG customer service and problem-solving skills.
- Newspaper or Warehouse/Delivery Industry Experience
- Solid understanding of logistics and efficiency.
- Proficiency with Word and Excel.
- Be able to professionally interact with vendors, contracted carriers and customers.
- Project planning, project oversight, budgeting, organize to meet schedules and timelines
- Able to pass criminal background check
- Valid driver's license, Reliable Vehicle, Vehicle Insurance
To Be Considered for this opportunity: Click the APPLY NOW button and send a resume and brief note of interest.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Are there Benefits?: An independent distributor is not an employee of The Oregonian Publishing Company and does not receive employee benefits such as health insurance. Reasonable cost for obtaining benefits are factored into the revenue generated by the distributorship.
When am I Paid?: Home Delivery distributors receive a fee for delivery and receive them weekly by electronic funds transfer into your account.
What are the Operating Hours?: Independent distributors set their own hours. The newspapers are made available for pick-up during a certain window of time each morning. The pick-up window varies by delivery center but is usually a few hours between midnight and 3am. The distributor is asked to agree to provide delivery results, which vary by area
Are there any start-up costs?: Start up costs are minimal. If you are selected as an independent distributor we will assist you to set you up for success.