The Capital District Transportation Committee (CDTC) is the Metropolitan Planning Organization (MPO) for New York’s Capital Region based in Albany, New York. CDTC works with our State, regional and local government partners to plan for and implement a safe, resilient, and modern transportation system. CDTC is seeking a transportation planner that specializes in public participation to join our team. The transportation planner will be supervised by the Executive Director and senior staff to implement CDTC’s Public Participation Plan, manage CDTC’s website and social media, and support public outreach and engagement activities for the Capital District Clean Communities Coalition which CDTC manages. In addition, the transportation planner is responsible for performing technical tasks in support of CDTC’s community and transportation planning work program elements. Transportation planners are expected to work in a team environment and be self-starters, capable of managing multiple tasks concurrently.
- Master’s degree in transportation planning, urban and regional planning, public administration, communications, geography, environmental studies, landscape architecture or in a closely related degree field; OR
- Bachelor’s degree in transportation planning, urban and regional planning, public administration, communications, geography, environmental studies, landscape architecture or in a closely related degree field with two (2) years of experience in planning; OR
- An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined above.
- Experience with public participation and community engagement.
- Strong written and communication skills.
- Experience with the management and development of social media and website content.
- Experience with Microsoft Office and graphic design software such as Adobe Creative Cloud.
- Fluency in a second language – Spanish, Chinese or other – is an asset.
- Culturally astute – be able to understand, communicate, and work effectively and respectfully across diverse cultures and demographic groups in the Capital Region.
- Coordinates with CDTC’s staff on public participation activities, creatively using and developing resources to connect the public with ongoing planning, program and outreach initiatives.
- Develops outreach materials to translate complex transportation planning topics into clear concepts that the community can understand.
- Ensures that all community engagement materials and web, electronic and print documents are accessible to a Web Content Accessibility Guidelines 2.0 AA
- Develops and manages CDTC’s website and social media
- Drafts written correspondence, emails, memos, newsletters, reports and press releases.
- Assists senior staff on the management of transportation planning projects
- Provides transportation-related technical assistance to local governments
- Prepares documentation and presentation of transportation studies
CDTC employees participate in the New York State and Local Retirement System and receive fringe benefits similar to state employees including medical and dental insurance; and vacation, personal, and sick leave.
Salary range begins at $57,325.
CDTC is an equal employment opportunity/affirmative action employer.
Send cover letter and resume by October 29th, to:
Sandy Misiewicz, AICP
Capital District Transportation Committee
One Park Place, Albany, New York 12205
or email firstname.lastname@example.org