Software Performance & Power Generalist
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Sep 29, 2021
Role Number: 200294016
Are you highly detailed and skilled at developing creative solutions? Do you want to be in a position to improve the quality of Apple products? Apple's Platform Architecture group is looking for a motivated engineer to analyze software performance and power for all Apple devices and competitor products. The candidate must be self-driven with initiative and passion for hunting for application performance bottlenecks and exploring new usage models. The candidate must have experience with analyzing application code and operating system internals, be able to root cause performance/power issues, and suggest practical solutions to Apple's SoC architects, software teams, and/or third party developers.
- Gathering performance and power metrics across a broad range of devices/components including phones, tablets and personal computers, focusing on real applications and usage models
- Using software analysis tools to classify and understand platform behavior and bottlenecks, especially when source code is not readily available
- Communicating findings and recommendations effectively to senior leadership
The candidate will seek out key scenarios, build automated ways to measure performance/power metrics, analyze software behavior on various systems, identify performance/power shortcomings, and use learnings to produce suggestions for how to make Apple products best in class.
Education & Experience
BS in CS or CE or equivalent work experience
- Experience with modern analysis tools for macOS/iOS, Windows and Android
- Understanding of modern operating system layers and introspection abilities
- Proactively seek out new applications that are of interest to measure and analyze
- Ability to read and write code in most languages used in modern applications
- Scripting and basic automation of applications