City of Coralville: performs manual labor associated with solid waste/recycling collection. Apprx 20 hrs/week, T - TH; $21.44/hr CDL w/air brake required after hire.
- Performs duties necessary in solid waste/recycling, including solid waste/recycling pick-up and operation of solid waste/recycling vehicles and equipment.
- Attend seminars and classes as requested by the Superintendent.
- Operation and general maintenance/cleaning of mobile equipment including but not limited to solid waste/recycling vehicles, street sweepers, endloader, backhoe, maintainer, dump trucks and skid loader and related attached equipment.
- Performs maintenance duties related to sidewalks, streets, catch basins and related structures’ repairs.
- Operates air hammers, air compressors, tractors, pumps, sewer cleaners, weed cutters, chain saws and other power equipment.
- Manual labor associated with snow removal, including operation of snow plows, street sanders and related equipment.
- Education, Training and/or Experience
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Prior work experience in solid waste/recycling preferred.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of power tool operation, forklifts, skid steers, and bailers including proper safety, care and maintenance procedures.
- Knowledge of city and departmental policies as they relate to Streets and Solid Waste.
- Ability to read a level, tape measure and other basic construction equipment.
- Ability to perform manual labor for an extended period of time under adverse conditions.
- Must have a valid State of Iowa Driver’s License
- Must have a valid commercial driver’s license with the air brake requirement in a reasonable amount of time after hire.
- Must be able to acquire future licenses and certifications that may be required.
- Ability to read, speak, write, hear and understand English to communicate effectively with fellow employees, contractors and the general public by telephone, two-way radio, written format and in person.
- Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with other employees, officials and the public.
- Ability to operate, maintain and repair a variety of department’s motor and power equipment including trucks, endloaders, and refuse packers or other equipment.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical labor activities as needed including shoveling, using a variety of hand and power tools, repetitive lifting up to 75 pounds, stooping, bending and climbing (including using ladder).
- Ability to bend, stoop, climb and otherwise move about the job site for the performance of assigned duties.
- Ability to shovel snow and occasionally shovel dirt.
- Ability to climb using ladders to perform various duties.
- Physical ability to traverse variable terrain conditions not accessible by vehicle including but not limited to steep slopes, unlevel grades and heavily vegetated areas.
- Ability to work long hours outdoors, occasionally under adverse weather conditions.
- Must not pose a direct threat to the health or safety of other individuals in the workplace or citizens encountered during work.
- Intellectual ability, judgement, stamina and coordination necessary to normally complete daily assigned tasks within the workday.
Must pass a post-offer, pre-employment physical & drug screen & must reside within 15 minutes of the Coralville city limits after hire. EOE