Job Title: Specialist, Communications & Digital Strategy
Office: Office of School Improvement and Supports
Date Posted: 9/30/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $82,007 - $92,534
NTE Date: N/A
The Government of the District of Columbia values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with the Government of the District of Columbia.
The mission of the Office of School Improvement and Supports (OSIS) is to ensure we support our schools and our students to succeed and to meet the Goals of our Strategic Plan. The Office works to dramatically accelerate the number of excellent schools through school transformation, including design, partnerships, Connected Schools, and Comprehensive School Planning (CSP). The Office develops, aligns, and delivers high-quality supports to ensure students, particularly students furthest away from opportunity, are in school, able to engage in rigorous learning, and have a joyous educational environment. The Office ensures our schools have excellent leaders, educators, and staff who are prepared to meet the diverse needs of the young people we serve.
- School Performance: Promotes data-driven decision-making through a cycle of continuous improvement to develop, implement, and monitor the comprehensive school plan designed to move schools toward a consistent standard of excellence.
- Design: Designs innovative school models that transform learning for our students furthest from opportunity and supports District workstreams to be more grounded in community voice by anchoring in data, community engagement and understanding, and elevating and integrating student voice.
- Connected Schools: Supports schools in implementing the DCPS Connected Schools Model. Connected Schools take a whole child, whole school, whole community approach by making schools spaces that support not only a student's academic development, but also the student and family's overall wellbeing through access to resources related to health, employment, housing, and more.
- Equity Strategy and Programing: Supports DCPS' equity priority by ensuring systemically underserved students are provided with opportunities, skills, and engagements that support their success, and that DCPS staff and stakeholders are centering equity as a central lens and practice.
- School Mental Health: Ensures that students' behavioral and social-emotional needs are met to increase access to the curriculum.
- Student Placement: Ensures that schools have the necessary supports to address the needs of the whole child and create the conditions where all students are ready to learn.
- Student Health Services: Ensures that all students are healthy and are supported with the appropriate services and accommodations to support their wellness and continued learning.
Science of Learning and Development
- SoLD: Supports the district's transformation to become a Whole Child Centered, Antiracist school system. Grounded in Science and powered by lived experiences, the district's approach is a long-term vision that counts on each district and school staff member knowing the science of learning and development and applying this research to their own work. Charged with building the capacity of district and school staff, as well as integrating a whole child and antiracist lens into the district's key priorities, the SoLD Division will leverage the experiences of school leaders and staff to translate the research into systems, tools, and practices.
- SEL and School Culture: Ensures that schools have the resources to provide a safe and supportive learning environment where all students are able to thrive academically and socially.
- IMPACT Operations: Supports the daily implementation of both Staff and School Leader IMPACT. The team ensures IMPACT policy is followed with fidelity, manages a helpline where staff can reach out with questions, handles IMPACT appeals, and fulfills all IMPACT data analysis requests.
- IMPACT Align: Ensures all evaluators have the tools they need to accurately and consistently apply the DCPS classroom observation rubric (the Essential Practices) when evaluating teacher practice. Provides tools for teachers to support excellent performance with respect to the Essential Practices.
- IMPACT Design: Gathers and responds to feedback from DCPS leadership and staff, and uses this feedback to consider possible IMPACT design changes for the future. The team also liaises with other states, districts, education groups, and researchers to learn from the best practices and lessons learned in the field of staff and school leader evaluation.
The Talent Acquisition and Retention (TAR) division supports school-based stakeholders in staffing and retaining critical instructional roles and is comprised of the following two teams:
- The School Leader and Teacher Talent Acquisition team is responsible for the design and implementation of DCPS's rigorous recruitment and selection processes for principals, assistant principals, teachers, and educational aides to identify the best potential candidates to support student growth. The team manages DCPS's teacher pipelines, including strategic partnerships with local universities and teacher preparation programs. The team also supports initiatives to retain effective educators throughout the district.
- The Strategic Staffing team is responsible for hiring for all positions in DCPS. The team provides budgeting and position management support, works with principals and managers to develop their staffing plans and personnel budgets, and works with employees, principals, and hiring managers on staffing changes.
The Specialist, Communications & Digital Strategy is responsible for ensuring that consistent and clear messaging is available to candidates seeking instructional positions in DCPS across print and digital platforms. The Specialist has the opportunity to connect with key internal and external stakeholders to provide accurate, timely, and transparent information about DCPS priorities to candidates, as well as creating and maintaining a bank of application resources. The Specialist's work closely supports the DCPS goal of ensuring that all students receive a high-quality education and are prepared for college, career, and life.
The Specialist, Communications & Digital Strategy will report to the Manager, Teacher Recruitment.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
Supports the Talent Acquisitionand team in implementing an aggressive and innovative national strategy for recruiting outstanding instructional staff, school leaders, and related service providers to join DCPS.
- Helps to facilitate the seamless, efficient execution of various candidate selection processes.
Authors and executes clear, specific, and strategic communications to internal and external audiences that are aligned with the district's overall vision and priorities.
Manages digital marketing and outreach strategy for recruiting candidates to various positions within DCPS.
Drives the development and execution of social media strategy and creates social media campaigns to support the Talent Acquisition team's recruitment and selection priorities.
Creates and maintains a user-friendly resource bank for candidates applying to instructional, school leader, and related-service provider positions, as well as for transferring teachers to support with all aspects of the human capital life cycle.
Authors and manages internal emails and newsletters for candidates, central office staff, and DCPS staff, and external emails and newsletters for various DCPS audiences, candidates, and stakeholders.
Creates content, edits, and updates, and ensures brand continuity for the team's recruitment microsite and affiliated pages on the main DCPS website.
Manages multiple DCPS candidate email accounts to monitor requests and respond accordingly.
Builds relationships and liaises with internal and external stakeholders to drive collaboration and project success, including responding to urgent requests from multiple internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Bachelor's degree and three to five years of related work experience.
- Master's degree preferred.
- Teaching experience or other experience in the education sector preferred.
- Experience designing strategy for and leveraging digital media, including social media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
- Exceptional writing, editing, and oral communications skills, especially when under time constraints.
- Experience crafting strategic, culturally-responsive communications for diverse audiences.
- Strong organizational skills, including key attention to detail, and the ability to adhere to strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and be a self-starter, while collaborating with others on meeting common goals.
- Focus on outcomes and willingness to work as hard as necessary and to work non-standard hours to achieve program and district-level goals.
- Strong computer skills, specifically Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Illustrator.
- Web design experience preferred.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.