Library Assistant – Circulation
Application Deadline: Monday, October 11, 2021 at 5 PM
Hours: Monday – Thursday, alternate Friday/Saturday with some evenings
Salary: $18.2418 Hourly
Characteristics of the Job
Under the close supervision of the circulation services coordinator, performs automated circulation functions of library materials according to established policies and procedures; maintains patron confidentiality; exercises independent judgment in application of a variety of established policies and procedures; provides skilled, efficient and courteous service to the public.
Examples of Duties
- Maintain constant contact with the general public on a daily basis to explain and interpret established policies and procedures relating to the library.
- Understand and implement multi-faceted library computer system; perform basic search functions and keep accurate circulation records.
- Assess and manage circulation-related complaints according to established guidelines.
- Calculate and receive payment for lost materials, fines, library cards, rental fees, etc.
- Perform accurate and prompt data entry involving knowledge of state laws and the policies of the library, the library system and the City.
- Operate and maintain general and specialized office equipment, such as cash registers, computers, fax machines, calculator, copy machines, multi-line phone system, etc.
- Provide specialized services, such as Notary Public, passport services, and voters’ registrar.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Training and Experience
High school diploma or GED equivalent including or supplemented by computer courses and public service experience; or any equivalent combination of training and experience which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Knowledge of business English, spelling and arithmetic; modern office practices and procedures; numerical and alphabetical library filing; telephone etiquette.
Skill in public relations; typing, data entry, arithmetic calculations and operating office machines with reasonable accuracy and speed to satisfy departmental needs; skill in communicating with other employees and the general public.
Ability to convey a cheerful and positive personal image; handle confidential information with discretion; exercise initiative, tact and independent judgment within area of responsibility; learn assigned clerical tasks, library terminology and perform detailed accurate work; effectively convey library policies and procedures to the public; learn the use of the library’s computer systems and equipment; follow oral and written instructions; communicate effectively, orally and in writing; establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the general public; learn to operate a multi-line telephone system; work calmly under stressful conditions; adapt to changes; perform several tasks simultaneously. Ability to speak Spanish desirable.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
Valid Illinois driver’s license or equivalent.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, sit, talk, hear and perform considerable repetitive motion involving the use of fingers, hands and limbs. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, bend and lift and push books and other library materials up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision and ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER