Austin , Texas , United States
Posted: Sep 30, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200293359
This position is offered in Apple's Environmental Technologies group of Apple's Hardware Engineering division. Our mission is to deliver the world's leading programs on the elimination of hazardous substances, improved material and energy efficiency, as well as design for environment. Apple believes that major improvements in environmental performance will be delivered through product design innovations. Imagine what you could do at Apple! Apple's Biocompatibility and Safer Materials team is seeking a toxicology professional to conduct toxicological assessments of materials used in the production of Apple products. We will look up to you to identify substances that may be potentially hazardous to human health. You will work closely with Apple's product design teams, program managers and suppliers to track the use of materials, identify substances of concern, investigate safer alternatives, and support implementation of chemical substitution programs.
- Minimum of 3 - 5 years proven experience in toxicology or equivalent field
- Expertise in hazard identification, skin irritation/sensitization, risk assessment of substances, including alternative risk assessment methodologies
- Experience with ISO 10993 and assessing materials for biocompatibility
- Knowledge/experience with alternative testing methodologies and prediction models
- Experience building dossiers, developing SOPs & test protocols
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to technical and non-technical audiences
- Proven track record to excel in a dynamic, schedule-driven environment
- We rely on your expertise in assessments on toxic nature of chemical substances of the materials used in the manufacture of wearable and non-wearable products that meet the prolonged skin contact requirements. - You will focus primarily on the calculation of exposure to chemical substances, evaluation of their inherent hazardous properties, and identification of potential risks from the use of materials in Apple products and processes. - You will be a major contributor in the building Apple specifications, policies, and processes that place limitations on substances that are potentially hazardous to human health. Develop novel test methodologies to identify restricted substances and potential risks. - You will also work with cross-functional partners, program managers and suppliers towards alternative assessments that identify safer substances and support substitution programs with suppliers.
Education & Experience
- PhD in toxicology or related field with 3 + years experience in an industry setting - MS in toxicology or related field with 10 + years experience in an industry setting - DABT certification is a plus