Friday, October 1, 2021
Gannett Co., Inc. (NYSE: GCI) is a subscription-led and digitally focused media and marketing solutions company committed to empowering communities to thrive. With an unmatched reach at the national and local level, Gannett touches the lives of millions with our Pulitzer-Prize winning content, consumer experiences and benefits, and advertiser products and services.
Our current portfolio of media assets includes USA TODAY, local media organizations in 46 states in the U.S., and Newsquest, a wholly owned subsidiary operating in the United Kingdom with more than 120 local news media brands. Gannett also owns the digital marketing services companies ReachLocal, Inc., UpCurve, Inc., and WordStream, Inc., which are marketed under the LOCALiQ brand, and runs the largest media-owned events business in the U.S., USA TODAY NETWORK Ventures.
To connect with us, visitwww.gannett.com
Public Safety Reporter
The Iowa City Press-Citizen/press-citizen.com, part of the USA TODAY NETWORK, is seeking a public safety reporter to cover the judicial system, police agencies, social service networks and health care in the Iowa City area.
A public safety reporter must be able to handle breaking news, but also spot trends and articulate ways in which all our communities can be better served by those whose job it is to provide protection and justice.
This reporter will be expected to develop enterprise and investigative work, whether snagging exclusive interviews with disaster survivors or developing sophisticated analysis of crime trends. Database skills are a plus. Crime coverage will be focused less on specific incidents and more on how crime is affecting communities and how they can combat it.
Clear, fast writing is essential, along with the ability to turn breaking news coverage into readable storytelling. Source development will be critical, among first responders, police, judges, court staff, social workers, medical professionals and community residents. Duties include writing compelling headlines and employing SEO best practices to draw in readers.
While days and hours can vary, this reporter will generally work weekday shifts.
Iowa City is a growing area with a major university, increasingly diverse population, and a vibrant arts and literature scene.
- Research, report and produce compelling content that informs and engages readers.
- Provide thoughtful analysis of complex issues.
- Produce watchdog journalism that leads to change.
- Produce content in alternative forms that are tailored to the right platform (mobile, desktop, social media) to best reach the audience.
- Use real-time metrics to respond to user demand and reader interest.
- Bachelor's or masters in communications, journalism or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Prior professional journalism experience or significant internship experience.
- High-level writing, communication and time management skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well on deadline.
- Ability to produce content that is clean, accurate and publication ready.
- Comfort with using social media such as Twitter, Facebook, Instagram and Snapchat to enhance reporting and promote stories.
- Understanding of reporting ethics and sourcing.
- This role requires a valid drivers license, reliable transportation, and the minimum liability insurance required by state law.
- Employment is contingent on passing a post-offer pre-employment background check and a motor vehicle record check & drug screen.
We are eager to learn more about you and how you fit this role. When you apply, dont limit your upload to a resume; show us what youve done. To do so, put together a single document file that includes the following, in this order:
1. Your resume one to two pages.
2. A cover letter that outlines how you would approach the job.
3. Links to 3-6 online samples of your work. Show us what youve produced or had a hand in that best reflects what you can do in your desired role.
It is important that these items be assembled into a single document and uploaded in PDF format. Completing these steps will ensure that your application receives the highest consideration.
Gannett Co., Inc. is a proud equal opportunity employer committed to building and maintaining a diverse workforce. As such, we will consider all qualified applicants for employment and do not discriminate in connection with employment decisions on the basis of an applicant or employees race, color, national origin, ethnicity, ancestry, citizenship status, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, religion, age, marital status, personal appearance (including height and weight), sexual orientation, family responsibilities, physical or mental disability, medical condition, pregnancy status (including childbirth, breastfeeding or related medical conditions), education, genetic characteristics or information, political affiliation, military or veteran status or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state and local laws in the jurisdictions where Gannett employs employees.
In addition, Gannett Co., Inc. will provide applicants who require a reasonable accommodation, as a result of an applicants disability or religion, to complete this employment application and/or any other process in connection with an individuals application for employment with Gannett Co., Inc. Applicants who require such accommodation should contact Gannett Co., Inc.s Recruitment Department at Recruit@gannett.com.