Job Title: Manager, Benefits and Compensation
Office: Office of Resource Strategy
Date Posted: 10/4/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $92,748 - $104,655
NTE Date: N/A
The Government of the District of Columbia values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with the Government of the District of Columbia.
The mission of the Office of Resource Strategy (ORS) is to align and manage resources across the organization to best meet the needs of our schools and create the conditions for district success. The Office is responsible for facilitating the successful financial and business performance of the district and integrating the district's business and financial interests to ensure an equitable distribution of resources that best serves all students. The Office provides financial strategy and leadership to implement strategic goals and objectives and gives direction to leadership toward the achievement of the District's philosophy, mission, strategy, annual goals, and (see application details) Office also is responsible for ensuring sound business and financial practices are followed in compliance with federal and state regulations, district policy, business policies and procedures, and other applicable financial and business standards and (see application details) Office supports employees throughout the district to ensure DCPS provides high-quality customer service and employee support for all district employees.
ORS programs include the following:
- Employee Services: provide legally-compliant employee services related to benefits and compensation, manage workforce data and systems, and provide world-class customer service within 24 hours;
- Contracts & Acquisitions: Support schools and Central Office in purchasing goods in alignment with procurement law and regulation; and
- Finance: Ensure school and central office finances are allocated and expended in alignment with the district's strategic plan, in a manner that fosters transparency, maximizes funds, promotes equity, and ensures compliance with requirements.
The Employee Services (ES) work group supports the work of all school-based and Central Office staff and is comprised of the following five teams:
- The Benefits and Compensation team is responsible for the following: administering and encouraging adherence to a consistent classification grading philosophy; ensuring that DCPS administers compensation policies consistently and pursuant to relevant legislation and collective bargaining agreements; providing support to units during reorganizations, RIFs, and other periods of hire, transfer, promotion, and demotion; conducting classification reviews, administering position audits, and approving position descriptions; offering retirement counseling, guidance, and advanced planning; and administering the agency's health, life, tax shelter, flexible spending, and supplementary benefits plans.
- The Employee Services Communication and Training (ESCT) team manages all Employee Services communications to the DCPS workforce, stakeholders, and external partners, as well as leads the development and implementation of resources, workshops, and events designed to support employee needs. ESCT also manages several customer service and central office performance initiatives for DCPS, including the Employee Services helpline, walk-in visitor reception, clearance compliance, employee onboarding and offboarding processes, licensure compliance, and central office employee performance evaluations.
- The HR Information Systems and Records Management team ensures systems data integrity, manages the data reporting function, processes personnel actions in PeopleSoft, provides position management support for schools and Central Office, provides time and labor support, and manages the personnel filing system for all DCPS employees. The team also serves as a key HR partner to external agencies like the Office of the Chief Technology Officer (OCTO), the DC Office of Human Resources (DCHR), and the Office of Pay and Retirement Services (OPRS).
- The HR Systems Development team manages the design, development, and overall strategy of several technical applications managed by Central Office teams. This technical team ensures that data is accurate and integrated between systems. It seeks to use applications and their data to improve and fine-tune processes so that the agency can accomplish its work efficiently and DCPS employees are empowered to easily use these systems.
- The Strategic Staffing team is responsible for hiring for all positions in DCPS. The team provides budgeting support, works with principals and supervisors to develop their staffing plans and personnel budgets, and works with employees, principals, and hiring managers on staffing changes.
The Manager, Benefits & Compensation is primarily responsible for ensuring that essential benefits, classification, compensation, leave of absence, and retirement functions are well executed to support unit effectiveness. The Manager will work with a broad cross-section of internal and external stakeholders to implement policies and procedures and provide technical assistance, guidance, and customer service to DCPS employees.
The Manager, Benefits and Compensation will report to the Director, Benefits and Compensation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Helps lead Benefits and Compensation strategy; creates clear, specific, and ambitious performance measures for multiple projects and operational priorities; and translates targets into individual work goals and deliverables for direct reports.
- Assigns, directs, and evaluates the work of direct reports; and guides and supports the professional development and training of reports.
- Identifies and systematizes successful operational and project management methods across the Benefits and Compensation team; and develops and strengthens resources for support.
- Assesses Benefits and Compensation workflow and implements workflow and systems improvements designed to improve stakeholder communications and support services for DCPS employees.
- Anticipates, identifies, and resolves complex obstacles to ensure success of Benefits and Compensation team.
- Helps determine and align Benefits and Compensation resources within context of broader DCPS strategy and initiatives.
- Builds relationships and liaises with various internal and external teams to drive collaboration and project success; communicates regularly and effectively with agency partners in a variety of forums, including phone, email, business operations meetings, HR Advisors meetings, and other standing inter-agency meetings.
- Manages the analysis and presentation of key Benefits & Compensation data, including but not limited to: benefits enrollment, retroactive payment status, retirement status and eligibility, and leaves of absence; communicates progress to key stakeholder groups; and incorporates their input.
- Stays aware of innovations and developments in Benefits and Compensation policies and research; and advises DCPS leadership on proposed legislation, policies, procedures, and directives affecting the Benefits and Compensation team, and Employee Services as a whole.
- Works closely with various DCPS central office teams and schools to ensure that Benefits and Compensation information is shared and accessible to eligible DCPS employees.
- Bachelor's degree and four to six years of related work experience.
- Masters degree preferred.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Data-driven leader with strong computer skills, including MS Office Suite, databases, and PeopleSoft.
- Availability to work occasionally, depending upon priorities and workload, before and after business hours and on weekends is essential.
- Strong oral and written communication skills, and ability to communicate effectively with individuals at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to multitask and work under pressure in a fast-paced environment.
- Takes initiative and uses a can-do approach to be flexible in spotting and resolving issues in a timely manner.
- Provides excellent customer service, and is skilled in dealing with difficult situations and personalities.
- Accepts constructive feedback, is cooperative, and has a strong willingness to learn.
- Tolerant of change and uncertainty.
- Skilled in establishing and maintaining strong interpersonal relationships, collaborating with others, and working in teams.
- Punctual and reliable; and shows self-awareness, self-monitoring, ability to course correct when improvements are necessary, and good judgment.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.