Job Title: Assistant, Warehouse Logistics
Office: Office of the Chief Operating Officer
Date Posted: 10/4/2021
Salary Range: 1-5 / $48,701 - $54,939
NTE Date: N/A
The Government of the District of Columbia values the safety of our employees, our residents, and our visitors. In support of these values, if you are selected for this job you must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, except when vaccination is not medically advised or violates your sincerely held religious beliefs. If you are invited to join our team, you must submit proof that you are fully vaccinated against COVID-19 to your initial HR representative, or you must request an exemption from your representative. New employees must either provide proof of vaccination or be granted a medical or religious exemption before working with the Government of the District of Columbia.
The Office of Innovation and Systems Improvement (ISI) works with the Chancellor to align resources across the organization through innovation and continuous improvement. Our goal is to initiate change and lead DC Public Schools into the highest performing school district in the nation. After engaging with over 3,000 internal and external stakeholders to help shape the future of DCPS, we are guided by the five strategic priorities of the new Capital Commitment 2017-2022 Strategic Plan:
- Promote Equity: Define, understand, and promote equity to close achievement gaps and interrupt institutional bias.
- Empower Our People: Recruit, develop, and retain a talented, caring, and diverse team.
- Educate the Whole Child: Provide rigorous, joyful, and inclusive academic and social emotional experiences for all students.
- Ensure Excellent Schools: Increase the number of high quality schools across the district by defining blended autonomies for schools and creating opportunities for innovation.
- Engage Families: Deepen partnerships with families and community.
The Office of the Chief Operating Officer (OCOO) is comprised of the Strategic School Operations, Food & Nutrition Services, School Security, Facilities, Compliance, and Attendance teams. OCOO is responsible for guiding the operations and functions for all 118 schools within the District. Our goal is for all DCPS schools to be ready on the first day of school and every day thereafter so that all principals can lead, all teachers can teach, and all students can learn.
The Facilities division is comprised of three main teams: Facility Planning & Design, Facility Management, and Warehouse & Logistics.
The Assistant, Warehouse Logistics will coordinate, expedite, and maintain an efficient, productive work flow of shipping /receiving and a cross-docking system for all of DC Public Schools, Central Office, Cluster Offices, and Satellite Offices within the District.
The Assistant, Warehouse Logistics will report to the Manager, Logistics.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
The below statements are intended to describe the general nature and scope of work being performed by this position. This is not a complete listing of all responsibilities, duties, and/or skills required. Other duties may be assigned.
- Assists and participates in the shipping/receiving, loading, unloading, organizing, storing and issuing of District goods, including supplies, equipment, furniture and textbooks, ensuring shipments are prepared for delivery and delivered in a timely manner.
- Coordinates or implements several small or medium-sized projects, or components of a larger project.
- Processes a variety of reports in written and electronic form (e.g., requisitions, paperwork, reports, etc.) for the purpose of disseminating information and/or materials to appropriate parties.
- Monitors all deliveries/pick-ups to and a variety of items (e.g., boxes, packages, cargo, office supplies, furniture, equipment, testing materials, etc.) for the purpose of distributing items to assigned locations and/or individuals.
- Participates in physical inventories for the purpose of verifying stock and identifying losses.
- Responds to inquiries of staff for the purpose of providing information and/or direction regarding the status of deliveries, etc.
- Maintains documents, files, and records (e.g., tracking online shipping, equipment transfers forms, etc.) for the purpose of documenting activities, and providing materials and reliable resource information.
- Tracks and reports progress of projects through use of various computer programs and tools.
- Interacts with and responds effectively to urgent requests from multiple internal and external DCPS stakeholders.
- Assists the Coordinator on completing various tasks, as designated by the Manager or the Director, as required.
- Maintains vehicles (e.g., checking fluid levels, fueling, cleaning, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring safe operation of vehicle; and drives vehicles (e.g., pickup truck, van, forklift, etc.) for the purpose of transporting orders and materials to designated sites.
- Assists with various moves within the schools, school emergencies, school closures, and other various duties assigned to the warehouse logistical operation.
- Associate's degree OR one year of experience.
- Previous exposure to or experience in the education sector a plus.
- Specific experience in Logistics & Supply Chain Management preferred.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing and to pay attention to detail within a fast paced environment.
- Valid DOT Certification and the ability to obtain a valid CDL Driver's License within 90 days of employment; evidence of insurability; forklift certificate.
- Experience with scheduling activities, collating data, and use of basic job-related equipment and common databases.
- Experience with problem solving to identify issues and action plans.
- Flexibility working with a diverse group of individuals, working in a warehouse environment, long hours, and occasional weekends.
- Ability to meet physical demands: significant lifting of at least 75 - 100 lbs., carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, significant climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, and crouching.
- Specific skill-based competencies, such as adhering to safety practices, operating equipment used in warehouse operations, operating standard office equipment including pertinent software applications and preparing and maintaining accurate records; and able to meet deadlines and set priorities.
- Ability to perform basic math, understand written procedures, write routine documents, speak clearly, and understand multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Possess the ability to drive a 12ft truck, van, pickup truck or leased DCPS vehicles as needed.
- STUDENTS FIRST: We recognize students as whole children and put their needs first in everything we do.
- COURAGE: We have the audacity to learn from our successes and failures, to try new things, and to lead the nation as a proof point of PK-12 success.
- EQUITY: We work proactively to eliminate opportunity gaps by interrupting institutional bias and investing in effective strategies to ensure every student succeeds.
- EXCELLENCE: We work with integrity and hold ourselves accountable for exemplary outcomes, service, and interactions.
- TEAMWORK: We recognize that our greatest asset is our collective vision and ability to work collaboratively and authentically.
- JOY: We enjoy our collective work and will enthusiastically celebrate our success and each other.