Acoustics DSP Engineer
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 4, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200294065
At Apple, new ideas have a way of quickly becoming extraordinary products, services and customer experiences. Sound is an essential and compelling facet of the customer experience. Apple has assembled a world-class Acoustics team that enables our customers to experience music with delight, communicate with clarity and appreciate our products without disturbance from noise. In Apple Acoustics we work with obsessive attention to detail, directly contributing to products that ship to millions of people around the world. Audio System Tuning team is looking for an Acoustics DSP Engineer to ensure the correct marriage between audio software and acoustic hardware in Apple's HW devices. The successful candidate will be responsible for all Audio DSP optimization in various iOS, OSX and Wireless device products, focusing in Speech Quality for Telephony and FaceTime applications.
- Audio DSP knowledge for audio applications, such as Echo and Double Talk, Microphone Beam-Forming, Multi-Band compression, Equalization, Noise Suppression in portable devices.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge of Machine Learning techniques used in optimizing Noise Canceller, Wind performance and delivering great Voice Quality for Telephony and VoIP applications.
- Knowledge of Microphone arrays and Beam Forming techniques in Audio applications.
- Tuning of echo cancellation algorithms, providing the correct tradeoff between echo return loss and double talk performance, and speech intelligibility.
- Solid C/C++, Python and Matlab coding capabilities
- Strong SW debugging skills
- Knowledge on transducers and their Acoustic integration is preferred
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills, ability to work optimally in multi-functional teams.
The candidate will be a member of Acoustic Hardware Team, and work day-to-day with the Audio Tuning Engineers and DSP algorithm teams. This role will require attention to details and excellent HW / SW debugging skills. You will be interacting with different teams at Apple, and as such, you should have great communication and collaboration skills. You will tune, optimize and listen to different internally developed algorithms for Apple HW with focus on advanced techniques to deliver the best Voice Quality in all Apple HWs. This role might require some international traveling as well. Apple delivers world class products and Audio should just makes these products even better with superb sound.
Education & Experience
Most of our engineers have advanced degrees in Acoustics, Mechanical Engineering, Electronics, or an equivalent field, but if you've followed a different path to expertise in Acoustic and Audio DSP, we still want to hear from you.