System Security Engineer
Austin , Texas , United States
Software and Services
Posted: Oct 4, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200295297
Join our security engineering team to design Apple Pay for future hardware and experiences. Breaking products is central to our day to day! If you're passionate about security research into low-level components and payment systems, let's talk.
- We are looking for C and C++ security auditing
- We would like for you to have vulnerability research experience
- Firmware exploitation
- Development, auditing or exploitation experience in low-level OS components such as kernels or drivers on any mature platform
As part of the ApplePay Security Engineering team, you'll split your time between breaking products and proposing fixes or new system designs to ensure that ApplePay remains secure for future customers. We engage with teams all over the company and the world to review designs, inspect code, and probe live test systems.
Education & Experience
4+ years experience in the security field
- This section covers areas of background that could help but are nice to have and 100% NOT REQUIRED. We aren't going to interview for these skills so think of them as areas of interest.
- We know that you've worked to discover vulnerabilities (it's in the required section above). If you've also exploited vulnerabilities, especially in embedded software, you've been able to think like an attacker. Perhaps you've reverse engineered some non-malware code or written a proof of concept exploit for a 0-day you found? Since we're internal, we generally have source code so there's no need to reverse engineer or write exploits for our systems but the mindset is the same.
- Some of our time is spent helping feature teams ensure that their design takes security into consideration which may involve designing (not developing) security functions. Helpful experience in this area could include:
- - Designing protocols in multi-OS environments
- - Trusted execution environment development, protocol design, and/or exploitation experience
- - Any professional experience in: Biometrics, bootloaders, embedded systems, hypervisors, secure boot or virtualization
- Once you find issues, you'll need the ability to explain your bugs to impacted teams and negotiate mitigations or fixes while taking business realities into account. We're here to help.
- Apple is an Equal Opportunity Employer that is committed to inclusion and diversity. We also take affirmative action to offer employment and advancement opportunities to all applicants, including minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
- Apple will not discriminate or retaliate against applicants who inquire about, disclose, or discuss their compensation or that of other applicants.
- We promote innovation and new technology to further improve our creative output. Multifaceted, smart people and inspiring, innovative technologies are the norm here. You will be part of building an extraordinary team. We're looking for a hardworking and passionate person to join this amazing team, if you feel this is you, we'd love to hear from you.