Location: Mequon - Wisconsin
The Project Hardware Engineer role is responsible for packaging, component design and selection, thermal evaluations, agency certification, enhancements, quality improvements, and maintenance for Variable Frequency Drive (VFD) products and solutions across various industries. This opportunity enables the candidate to engage in complex engineering for packaged electrical solutions and to work directly with customers to meet their requirements and produce manufacturing-ready designs. Engineering calculations, development tools, and design verification testing will validate the performance of the solutions. The Project Hardware Engineer will create detailed design documentation for product development, customer approvals, supplier requirements, manufacturability, and product test plans.
The Project Hardware Engineer works closely with other cross-functional team members within the Integrated Drives Business (IDB) and across business units and reports to the IDB Engineering Manager.
- Under the direction of managers or project leaders, analyze and design standard and OEM products and Engineered-to-Order (ETO) orders for drive application solutions including enclosures, components, and assemblies.
- Optimize designs for a balance of cost and performance by incorporating standard and custom power and control components, cables, enclosures, and thermal management solutions into a packaged product.
- Lead conversations with customers to discuss solutions and demonstrate organizational value-add engineering capabilities
- Assist in preparing product development specifications, proposals, and project schedules using capabilities in analysis, design, and estimation of task duration and costs.
- Cross-functional coordination from development of conceptual designs through final fabrication and production implementation. Includes interfacing with Customers, Suppliers, Electrical Engineering, Development Engineering, Industrial Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering, Quality Assurance, Product Management, and Project Management.
- Develop detailed solution models, component drawings, assembly instructions and other documentation as needed.
- Develop products and design documentation as specified by the development process and associated with the functional process requirements.
- Solve common and complex mechanical packaging challenges within established specifications and recommend appropriate alternatives.
- Maintain a working knowledge of applicable regulatory standards (UL, IEC).
- Create, modify, and review detail drawings with Geometric Dimensioning & Tolerancing (GD&T).
- Develop and implement testing parameters and plans for new and existing designs including validation of tolerances, form/fit/function, shock and vibration, safety, and product robustness.
- Participate in prototype validation testing and product qualification testing.
- Specify, procure, and fabricate prototype and proof of concept parts.
- Support the Operations and Quality Assurance teams to resolve product manufacturing and test issues.
- Support RA field service and customers in the resolution of field application issues with respect to system design and product performance.
- Identify and implement continuous improvement opportunities for products and processes.
- Maintain designs of released products and support Continuing Engineering efforts throughout the product life cycle.
- May act as a team or project leader providing direction for team activities and decision making.
- Support company and IDB goals, objectives, and profitability.
- Ensures thorough familiarity with company policies and procedures including Standards of Business Conduct, Intellectual Property, Control Environment, Information Protection, ISO 9000 & 14001, and government regulations (e.g. health, safety, quality and environmental).
BASIC QUALIFICATIONS / REQUIREMENTS:
- B.S. Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Legal authorization to work in the US is required. We will not sponsor individuals for employment visas, now or in the future, for this job opening.
- 8-10 years of mechanical design experience with metal and plastic components and electronic assemblies & packaging.
- Proficiency with Creo 3D CAD modeling software.
- Knowledge of U.L. 508A, UL 61800-5-1, CE, and other global standards.
- Experience with stress analysis and thermal simulations using Ansys Workbench.
- Design for manufacture and assembly experience or demonstrated skill.
- Master's degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- Experience designing solutions incorporating VFDs.
- Experience conducting failure analysis and defining corrective actions.
- Experience creating, modifying, and reviewing detail drawings with GD&T.
- Knowledgeable of design and fabrication of steel enclosures, busbars, sheet metal/plastics.
- Knowledgeable of production tooling and processes.
- The ability to lead a cross functional project team consisting of Electrical Engineers, Mechanical Engineers, Manufacturing Engineers and Technicians.
- Ability to work on multiple projects at the same time.
- Proficient in MS Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
- Strong oral and written communication skills in English including presentation skills.
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor for position level and compensation."
**For the right candidate, this position could be worked remotely from any location in the US
This position is part of a job family. Experience will be the determining factor.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer including disability and veterans.
If you are an individual with a disability and you need assistance or a reasonable accommodation during the application process, please contact our services team at +1 (see application details).