Product Safety Engineer, Battery Technology
Santa Clara Valley (Cupertino) , California , United States
Posted: Oct 4, 2021
Weekly Hours: 40
Role Number: 200294207
Imagine what you could do here! Do you ever consider what care, attention, and intention gets put into Apple's products that upholds user trust and confidence? The engineering team in Apple's cutting-edge Product Safety department is responsible for ensuring all products we release meet international safety standards and regulations, but also meet those requirements that befit Apple's brand and the highest expectations. Our mission is to ensure that Apple products are safe for use throughout the world and also comply with worldwide safety requirements. We're looking for a hardworking Product Safety Engineer with relevant expertise in Battery Technologies and Energy Storage development.
- We are looking for a seasoned professional with 5 to 10 years of experience in consumer electronics, transportation technologies, medical, military, space technologies, or reliability engineering.
- Expertise and relevant work and/or research experience in Battery Design, Test and Evaluation, Process Engineering, and/or Manufacturing.
- Possess deep knowledge of Battery Cell and/or Battery Management (Electronics) System design, with strong preference for electrochemical design or pack protection circuitry and management systems is critical for this role.
- Proficient with, or knowledge of, core Safety requirements in IEC/US/EN/CSA standards, along with applicable test procedures, equipment, methods, and certifying agency requirements and best practices.
- Experienced in conducting dFMEA or pFMEA and Safety fault tree analyses.
- Possess superior communication skills, both spoken and written; strong teamwork skills and ability to communicate across variety of audiences.
- Proven ability and judgment to interpret requirements, apply standards, and relate knowledge to situations and challenges to develop solutions.
- Experience in partnering with vendors and third-party bodies/agencies to develop, evaluate, validate, and qualify new designs or bring to commercialization.
- Able to negotiate, strike agreements, and resolve conflicts independently.
- Proclivity towards action and creative problem-solving; High hunger factor, calm under fire, and resilient even under challenging circumstances.
- Able to travel without restriction, up to 10% of the time, as this team's work requires periodic on-site vendor/factory engagement to address anticipated (and unanticipated) project demands.
- Foreign language proficiency highly desirable.
- The Product Safety Group seeks a high-energy and poised engineer with a background in battery development or the development of battery powered devices and electrical/electronics engineering to support safety engineering and standardized testing of innovative consumer products. - We expect you to comprehend, interpret, apply, and use Battery Safety international and regional standards to guide, drive, and validate our designs for Apple's world-class products. - You know how to apply scientific methods, conduct failure analyses, and support field capture investigations to determine failures modes and their root causes. - We partner with suppliers and third-party agencies or laboratories to evaluate product safety across Battery modules and their integration into product systems. You will play a key part in the development of test plans and their execution. - In driving FMEAs with cross-functional team, you will be responsible for identifying potential Safety risks and associated mitigations/solutions. - We work closely with multi-functional teams, such as Reliability and Ops/Manufacturing, to identify manufacturing risks and processes that could introduce potential defects.
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering (or equivalent) is required - Advanced degree in Battery Cell Development or Pack Electronics highly desired