ImOn Communications is the LOCAL choice for cable TV, high-speed Internet and phone service. We value the relationships we have with colleagues, customers, and members of our community and look forward to serving Eastern Iowa for many years to come. As we expand our service availability we are looking for an Outside Plant Construction Inspection Technician to be a part of the ImOn Difference! Our employees share a passion for building a culture of “Creating Connections One Person at a Time” and fostering a fun and rewarding work environment.
General Statement of Duties
The OSP Construction Inspection Technician will oversee the construction activities that take place on the worksite and will be involved in the monitoring of construction contractors (contractors are not ImOn employees we can’t supervise them.) in the field. The Construction Inspection Technician will plan, implement and oversee construction efforts at specific work sites.
Essential Job Responsibilities for Primary Functional Area of Accountability
- Do the prep work for Loose Tube, Mid-Sheath, and Splitting Ribbon Buffer Tube. Fiber optic cable. When required in an active environment.
- Splicing Fiber optic cable (loose tube, Ribbon, Multi-mode) fiber together, customer and company termination panels. When required in an active environment.
- Ability to Operate Optical Time Domain Reflector meters to test fiber use of visual fault light and power meter loss and readings.
- Complete a building entrance for services
- Aerial and Underground Telecommunications Construction Knowledge
- Construct aerial network fiber (FTTX)
- Pole frames
- Gigging cable
- Easements and ROW
- Boring specifications
- Structure placement
- Follows approved company construction specifications
- General understanding of DOT traffic control requirements
- Reads and interprets work orders, specifications, and engineering drawings.
- Fiber Documentation – read and understand the following:
- Maps for FTTX- new fiber to the X or subscriber
- Maps for HFC and Phone
- Fiber Splice documentation
- Termination Assignments
- Coordinate projects in the field to ensure they are on time and within budget.
- Field inspect contractors during build and post build projects.
- Performs routine construction inspection for work such as digging holes, climbing telephone poles, placing and removing anchors, pulling and stringing wire/cable from pole to pole, laying cable and conduit in the ground.
- Facilitate sales opportunities by providing the economic structure needed to meet the company’s build rates and/or key performance indicators.
- Monitor area locator.
- Responsible for completing weekly production reports.
- Route Inspections – drive ImOn routes to Inspect pole line and buried routes.
- Meets operational standards by contributing construction information to strategic plans and reviews; implementing production, productivity, quality, and customer-service standards; resolving problems; identifying construction management system improvements.
- Operates power equipment such as generators, blowers and hydraulic aerial lifts mounted on trucks.
- Uses test equipment to check for gas in manholes; may be required to empty water and other debris from manholes.
- Dismantles, moves, and removes aerial, underground or building wire, cable associated equipment, and hardware.
- Connects wires and cables to terminals and attaches/detaches various kinds of hardware to wires, cables, buildings, or poles.
- Responds to and participates in emergency and outage situations that require heavy construction capabilities.
- Ensures that all work considers the safety of the customer and general public and compliance with all governmental orders.
- Able and willing to work outdoors and in inclement weather conditions.
- Some travel involved, occasionally overnight
- All other duties as assigned
Required Experience, Training, and Special Qualifications
- 1+ year(s) experience in one or combination of equipment installation, cable splicing, line work, installation and repair.
- Must accommodate after-hours work as required.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Valid Iowa Driver License with the ability to obtain an Iowa CDL Class DII Driver License for bucket trucks and a driving record that allows employee to be insured by ImOn’s insurance carrier.
- Aerial only work will require DOT Class B License with an air brake endorsement as well as the ability to perform aerial inspections safely.
Essential Physical Abilities
Requires the following with or without reasonable accommodation:
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing which permits the employee to communicate effectively.
- Vision ability: close vision, peripheral vision, and ability to adjust focus
- Must have a valid driver’s license and satisfactory driving record
- Must accommodate various working conditions such as: Poorly ventilated areas such as attics during extreme heat, dust, dirt, noise, insects, cleaning solutions
- Work outdoors in all kinds of weather and at all times of the day or night
- Work near power lines and electricity
- Work and travel in inclement weather
- Ability to work while standing 50 - 70% of the time
- Ability to use the following hand tools: electric drills, hammers, wrenches, and screwdrivers.
- Ability to perform job from high places (i.e. poles and roofs)
- Ability to make cable connections in tight spaces by bending, reaching, twisting
- Ability to walk over all types of terrain in all kinds of weather while carrying tools and equipment, including gaffs, ladders, and fully loaded tool belts
- Ability to carry, climb and operate extension ladder, (approx. 28 ft high and 75+ pounds)
- Ability to climb poles using gaffs, hooks and climbing belt as needed
- Employees must be able to use required personal protective equipment to adhere to safety requirements.
- Employees in this position must weigh within the safety weight requirements (250lbs without tools) to safely operate company ladders and bucket trucks which are essential to this position.
In addition to competitive pay, ImOn also offers health & dental insurance, 401(k), discounted Cable, Internet & Phone services, and additional perks such as FREE vision and life insurance as well as FREE short term/long term disability, vacation & holiday pay, and community volunteer opportunities.