Position title: Database Administration Manager
The Manager of Database Administration is a member of the Enterprise Data Services team and reports to the Director of that unit. The position has responsibility for directing the efforts of the database administrators within that group. Responsibilities include oversight and administration of the Universities database platforms both on premise and in the cloud.
Details of responsibility include but are not limited to knowledge and expertise with Oracle, MySQL, MSSQL, and relational database concepts as well as Cloud technologies such as AWS, Azure or GCP. The manager should have sufficient expertise to be an effective owner of tasks related to the integration of local, cloud or hosted services (PaaS, IaaS), monitoring, analysis, security and application tools. This person is responsible for identifying security vulnerabilities and must understand how to communicate effectively to the team in order to remediate any threats. The Manager must be able to produce clear documentation of the systems being managed for all levels of leadership (peer through executive).
Security of data is the most critical aspect of this position, thus the candidate must be well versed in database security measures, literature and other sources for information regarding securing data.
This position is integral to the strategic planning and priority setting for the Division of Information Technology and the campus enterprise strategic initiatives. The manager oversees projects to successful completion, ensuring prompt customer service, staff management and staff skill development. The position includes responsibility for instituting the appropriate security controls, processes, and best practices to ensure compliance with State and University System audit requirements. The Manager must be able to communicate clearly both orally and in writing and must be a strong leader.
• Bachelor’s degree in a technology or science discipline
• 5+ years managing a highly technical database administrative staff in the development, support, and maintenance of enterprise-level database systems, both on premise and in the cloud
• 10+ years experience with query writing and performance tuning
• 10+ years hands on experience with database administration of a major RDBMS (Oracle, SQL Server, etc.)
• Strong, working knowledge of relational database principles, client/server computing techniques and solutions, distributed systems management concepts, networking and security.
• Must be self-motivated, highly responsible, and service-oriented.
• Must possess and exercise strong problem-solving skills.
• Must work concurrently on multiple projects, adjust rapidly to significant changes in priorities, and respond efficiently and effectively in emergencies.
• Effective verbal and written communications skills are mandatory. Must instruct, direct, assist, and share information freely and openly with both technical and non-technical personnel
• Masters in technology or technology management desirable
• Certification in at least one database platform
• Hands on experience with database service offerings within AWS, Azure or GCP
Additional information: t
his position does not provide sponsorship for Visas.
Physical demands: not applicable to this position
Best consideration date: 10/20/2021 or open until filled
Please apply at: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/88225
Vaccine protocol: the University of Maryland has made the safety of our students, faculty and staff, and our surrounding communities a top priority. As part of that commitment, the University System of Maryland (USM) recently announced that students, faculty, and staff on USM campuses this fall, including UMD, are required to be vaccinated against COVID. As a prospective and/or a new employee at UMD, you will be required to comply with the University’s vaccination protocol. Proof of full vaccination will be required before the start of employment in order to work at any University of Maryland location. Prospective or new employees may seek a medical or religious exemption to the vaccination requirement at return.umd.edu and must have an approved exemption prior to the start of their employment. Failure to provide proof of vaccination or to obtain approval for a medical or religious exemption will result in the offer of employment being rescinded.