Monitors and operates an array of extracorporeal equipment during surgery at Anne Arundel Medical Center.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Operates Cardiopulmonary bypass machine and other extracorporeal equipment as necessary to support cardiac and non-cardiac patients.
- Knowledge in physics, human anatomy and physiology, and chemistry as it relates to the science of perfusion.
- Interprets a variety of technical and clinical data necessary to facilitate the most effective and safe patient care.
- Possess the decision making skills necessary to determine adequacy of bypass and effectiveness of other extracorporeal equipment operated by the Perfusionist.
- Monitors departmental perfusion supply usage and waste, maintains appropriate supply inventory.
- Possesses the interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with other health care professionals in order to exchange and relay information.
- Exhibits communication skills necessary to interpret age specific responses to assessment, treatment, and interactions with others.
- Maintains perfusion quality control data and reports monthly to CV Leadership.
- Requires analytical ability to organize/assess critical extracorporeal equipment needs and analysis of the data.
- Operates within all regulatory guidelines and supports research initiatives.
- Graduation from a CAAHEP (Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Educational Programs) Perfusion program
- B.S. degree in related healthcare field
- 3-5years of experience.
- Licensure/Certification/Registration: Certification by the American Board of Cardiovascular Perfusion (ABCP) or ABCP eligibility.
- Licensure/Certification/Registration: Licensure as "Perfusion Advanced" (currently a CCP) by the Maryland Board of Physicians
- Licensure/Certification/Registration: "Perfusion Basic" (not a CCP) - Graduate of a CAAHEP Perfusion program but have not completed the requirements to take the ABCP exam. Tenure contingent on obtaining licensure as Perfusion Advanced within 2 years of Perfusion Basic title
- CPR certification (must have American Heart Association - Health Care Provider)
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands - Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
Possible exposure to communicable diseases with little likelihood of harm if established health precautions are followed. Uses patient care equipment with occasional exposure to patient with possible infectious diseases.
Work requires the ability to stand and/or walk for up to seventy-five percent of work time.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.