As part of the staff of Luminis Health ObGyn Midwifery, the nurse mid-wife provides antepartum, intrapartum, family planning, and routine well woman healthcare, including the dissemination of educational material and training to pregnant women.
Essential Job Duties:
- Ante partum care: Manage the normal ante partum care of women, including teaching and counseling support. Evaluates clinical findings and reviews results with the client and her family. Functions under established protocols for specific medications and treatments.
Intrapartum care: Manages the care of women experiencing an essentially normal delivery. Assesses women in labor at regular intervals to determine progress. Records labor and delivery and signs birth certificate. When required:
- Starts Intravenous infusions
- Performs anatomies
- Administers analgesia according to protocols
- Obtains necessary lab results
- Administers local anesthesia
- Manages normal spontaneous birth
- Performs and repairs episiotomies and lacerations
- Manages the third stage of labor
- Inspects cervix after birth, if indicated
- Collaborate with residents as applicable
- Postpartum care: Manages the postpartum care of women, based on assessment of emotional and physical stress. Functions under specific protocols for specific medications and treatments. Instructs and counsels women in regard to health issues.
Newborn care: Performs complete assessment of newborn, in and out of hospital setting. Institutes emergency care for newborn, including resuscitation and intubation. Consults and/or refers to physician as indicated.
- Well-woman health care: Provides routine well-woman health care. Evaluates and treats minor gynecological problems according to established protocols. Consults and refers to physician. Orders lab tests when required and consults clients regarding health issues.
- The employee must fulfill requirements for medical staff membership at Anne Arundel Medical Center.
- Current licensure to practice midwifery in the state of Maryland. Currently covered by medical malpractice.
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
Medium work. Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 30 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.