POSITION TITLE: Organizing Specialist (Job# 2021-36)
DEPARTMENT: Field Services
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Manager of Field and Organizing
EMPLOYEE GROUP: TEMPO
LOCATION: Metro and Statewide
PROBATIONARY PERIOD: One (1) year
FLSA/HOURS: Exempt/Full Time
Education Minnesota seeks Organizing Specialists to help us further our efforts to build powerful local unions, bargain fair contracts, and achieve our racial, social, and economic justice and public education goals. The Organizing Specialist focuses on directly engaging Education Minnesotas members in their local union and community, building local issue campaigns, identifying organic leaders, supporting leadership development, and working as a team with local leaders and field staff. This position is designed to support local unions in building and leveraging their own power and advancing racial equity and social justice.
Education Minnesota is a member-led labor union that has identified racial equity and social justice as primary organizational goals. All staff are expected to participate, individually and collectively, in ongoing training, discussions, and activities to advance these goals.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Support Education Minnesota locals in identifying issues, developing issue campaigns, organizing new units and achieving wins at the local level;
- Support and expand efforts to further education Minnesotas racial equity and social justice agenda including direct organizing in local unions;
- Train members in best practices in organizing;
- Identify, support and develop organic leaders within locals working with local leaders;
- Develop local organizing plans to win fair contracts, engage union members, build collective power and solidarity;
- Collaborate as a regional team with field staff, local leaders, and support staff as well as with the organizing team that includes organizing specialists in field and political organizing to develop integrated organizing plans that achieve the goals set out by locals and the governing board;
- Expand and promote the value of unionism to non-union educators;
- Recruit members for participation in statewide actions and political activities. and
- Other duties as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Proven commitment to union and community organizing as a means to improve public schools;
- Experience in developing materials and training adults in small and large groups;
- Ability to think both strategically and creatively to solve problems;
- Ability to perform and work well under deadlines/pressure;
- Strong collaboration skills and the ability to work closely with Education Minnesota staff, local leaders, and rank-and-file members;
- Ability to recognize and respond to inequities, biases and demonstrate an individual commitment to understanding how equity and inequity operate in organizations and societies;
- Ability to represent Education Minnesota professionally in coalitions and with external partners;
- A high level of discretion and good judgement; and
- Applicants must be aware of the issues facing public education and labor unions.
- Applicants must either have a Bachelors Degree or equivalent experience of 4 years in organizing or a public school setting;
- Valid drivers license;
- Reliable transportation; and
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination (vaccination card). If you have a medical exemption, you will be asked to provide a written waiver from your medical provider. If you have a religious objection you will be asked to provide documentation stating your religious objection.
- Experience working in a public school;
- Knowledge of and commitment to the cause of employee unions;
- Experience with member-driven organizations;
- Understanding of education issues as well as the political and legislative landscape in Minnesota;
- Experience in developing and executing written plans for accomplishing stated goals and objectives; and
- Experience leading a racial, social, or economic justice organizing campaign.
Maintain confidential information related to staff, the organization, and related data for members.
Work is in a general office environment. Employee may be required to: talk and hear; frequently stand, walk and repetitively use hands dexterously (use fingers to handle, feel), reach with hands and arms, bend and physically, lift and carry up to 10 pounds; occasionally lift up to 25 pounds and infrequently travel by various conveyances (e.g., air, rail, auto).
- Occasional travel with overnight stays may be required.
- After-hours work as needed (evenings and weekends).
EDUCATION MINNESOTA IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Education Minnesota is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to providing an environment of mutual respect where diversity is valued, supported and celebrated to benefit applicants, employees, members and students. All employment decisions are based on qualifications; merit and business need with preference given to people of color.
POSTING DEADLINE: For consideration, apply online and include a resume no later than 11:59 PM of Friday, October 15, 2021.