Applications are being accepted for the following vacancy on the Management Confidential staff of Hudson Valley Community College, Troy, New York.
Legal Assistant, Paralegal HV-MC-L10521
In order to be considered an applicant for this position you must meet the minimum qualifications as stated in this announcement. HVCC does not sponsor Visas. Applicants must currently hold an unrestricted employment authorization to work in the United States and appointment will be contingent upon completion of a background check.
Minimum Qualifications: Associate’s Degree in Paralegal Studies, Legal Studies or related field and two or more years of paid work experience in a legal setting and experience in researching case law, statutes and court rules using Westlaw or equivalent legal database required. Formal legal training or education beyond Associate’s level and/or significant paid experience in a legal environment preferred.
Must be a skilled communicator, both orally and in written form and possess exceptional interpersonal skills to handle high level internal and public contact; high degree of organizational skill and attention to detail required as well as the ability to cope with simultaneous and competing work demands also required.
II. Nature and Scope of Duties:
The Paralegal reports to the Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer and performs the following duties:
1) Acts as the initial contact with College personnel and the public on legal matters.
2) Maintains a docket for College Counsel.
3) Maintains a list of outstanding legal matters awaiting review.
4) May perform initial review and/or research of construction contracts, facility use contracts, articulation agreements, funding agreements under State and Federal programs, real property and equipment acquisition and leasing, environmental matters including compliance with SEQR, subpoenas under FERPA, approaches to FOIL requests, or other matters as assigned.
5) Works with the office of the Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer, College attorney and insurance agency in management of all legal claims.
6) Provides invaluable insights on information being transmitted to the Vice President for Administration and Finance and College Counsel for review and approval.
7) Under the instruction of College Counsel, may assist in drafting correspondence, pleadings, memoranda of law and other legal documents.
8) Assists College Counsel in preparation of documents for court filings, including exhibits, managing service of process, arranging depositions, etc.
9) Schedules and maintains administrative calendar of meetings and other activities of College Counsel.
10) Provides support for the Affirmative Action process by replying to and routing inquiries; may assist with reporting requirements.
11) Assists with the Title IX process by providing administrative support to the Title IX Coordinator; may assist with reporting requirements.
12) May provide support to the Coordinator of the Campus Judicial System, as needed.
13) Performs additional duties as assigned by the Vice President for Administration and Chief Financial Officer.
The Salary Range is $45,000-$50,000
Visit our Employment Opportunities page www.hvcc.edu/jobs to apply. We are accepting applicants until the close date of October 22, 2021.
Women, minorities, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. Bi-lingual applicants strongly encouraged to apply.
Hudson Valley Community College is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/ Employer