To protect the health and well-being of our members, employees and community, CareOregon requires all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 or have an approved medical or religious exception as a qualification of employment.
Candidates who receive an offer of employment by CareOregon, must provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination or submit a medical or religious exception request, which will be evaluated in accordance with CareOregon's standard accommodation process.
Position Title: Spanish Translator
Department: Member Engagement
Title of Manager: Member Engagement Manager
Supervises: Non-supervisory position
Exemption Status: Non-Exempt
*This position is 100% remote within the state of Oregon or 6 approved counties in Southwest Washington (Clark, Cowlitz, Pacific, Wahkiakum, Klickitat, Skamania)*
The Spanish Translator role is responsible for the translation of assigned member materials from English to Spanish. This work includes translating a daily volume of approximately 3,000-4,000 non-technical source words within a translation environment, collaborating with a multidisciplinary team, and providing ongoing maintenance of the translation memory (TM) database and term base. In collaboration with the language access team, this position helps promote, maintain and improve language access and services for Limited English Proficient (LEP) members and families across the state of Oregon. The role is responsible for the on-time delivery of assigned translation products and the review of products completed by other resources as needed.
- Translate member materials from English to Spanish using computer-aided translation software (CAT), including TM and term base; written materials range from correspondence about benefits to educational materials.
- Provide ongoing maintenance to the TM database and term base including adding new terms and suggesting edits. Ensure that translations properly convey meaning and adhere to reading level requirements.
- Ensure translated materials are consistent with brand and style guidelines.
- Provide proofreading and editing as needed to support the quality and accuracy of translation documents submitted by vendors or contractors
- Collaborate with copywriters, graphic designers, project managers and reviewers on a daily basis to create products that meet all standards.
- Balance time-sensitive, quick turn product deadline submissions with longer-term project deadlines.
- Produce culturally and linguistically appropriate materials.
- Perform work in alignment with the organization's mission, vision, and values.
- Support the organization's commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion by fostering a culture of open mindedness, cultural awareness, compassion, and respect for all individuals.
- Strive to meet annual business goals in support the organization's strategic goals.
- Adhere to the organization's policies, procedures, and other relevant compliance needs.
- Perform other duties as needed.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Familiarity with current best practices for translation for US-based Spanish-speaking target audience
- Familiarity with current best practices for translating marketing materials
- Knowledge of terminology management and use of a term base
- Ability to work under pressure and deliver products with tight deadlines
- Ability to handle multiple priorities, processes and demands in a dynamic work environment
- Knowledge of basic managed care concepts, the Oregon Health Plan (OHP) and Medicare
- Intermediate level skill with MS Office Suite including Outlook, Word and Excel
- Excellent spoken and written English communication skills
- Ability to effectively assist with the translation of all forms of member correspondence, health care and insurance materials
- Ability to work effectively, both independently and within a team
- Ability to use discretion, good judgment and know when to ask for assistance or direction
- Ability to effectively collaborate and interact with internal and external individuals at all levels
- Ability to work effectively with diverse individuals and groups
- Ability to share information and lessons learned with manager
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to exercise initiative and sustain motivation
- Ability to actively support the mission, values and goals of CareOregon and its member groups
- Understanding of Oregon interpretation certification/qualification requirements helpful
Physical Skills and Abilities
Lifting/Carrying up to 20 Pounds
Pushing/Pulling up to 10 Pounds
Pinching/Retrieving Small Objects
More than 6 hours/day
More than 6 hours/day
More than 6 hours/day
Cognitive and Other Skills and Abilities
Ability to focus on and comprehend information, learn new skills and abilities, assess a situation and seek or determine appropriate resolution, accept managerial direction and feedback, and tolerate and manage stress.
Education and/or Experience
- Minimum 3 years' experience providing English to Spanish translation services
- Current American Translator Association (ATA) translation certification OR a postsecondary degree in translation from an accredited institution in the U.S. or abroad in lieu of ATA certification
- Experience working with computer-aided translation (CAT) software
- Experience proofreading and editing
- Desktop Translation Publishing (DTP) experience
- Experience with quality assurance
- Experience working with alternative formats such as large print and audio
- Experience translating healthcare and marketing materials
- Experience working with a corporate or agency creative team
- Environment: This position's primary responsibilities typically take place in the following environment(s) (check all that apply on a regular basis):
Inside/office Clinics/health facilities Member homes
- Travel: This position may include occasional required or optional travel outside of the workplace, in which the employee's personal vehicle, local transit, or other means of transportation may be used.
- Equipment: General office equipment
- Hazards: n/a
Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply. CareOregon is committed to building a linguistically and culturally diverse and inclusive work environment
Veterans are strongly encouraged to apply.
Equal opportunity employer. This company considers all candidates regardless of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.