Communicates with patients, medical staff, hospital staff and visitors in a professional manner providing excellent customer service as reflected in AAMC's policies and practices.
Essential Job Duties:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
- Espouses the principals of Lean Thinking and creates a work environment that positively promotes process improvement. Explores opportunities to add value to job (innovative ideas) to benefit the organization and taking ownership of the outcome. Proactively finds other work-related tasks during low census.
- Maintains safe and clean working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations and that allows for easy staff interchange. Maintains inter- and intradepartmental work flow by fostering a spirit of cooperation (hand offs).
- Maintains laboratory supplies inventory and conserves laboratory resources by using equipment and supplies as needed to accomplish job results. Performs preventative maintenance and troubleshoots problems to the full extent of ability.
- Meets turn-around-time and productivity goals (includes downtime activity, meal breaks, shift transitions, schedules, huddles). Serves as a point of contact for customer inquiries.
- Answers the phone courteously and professionally and as per department guidelines, responds to inquiries, and refers all calls as appropriate. Responsible for maintaining a high level of professionalism with clients and working to establish a positive rapport with every caller.
- Answers incoming customer calls regarding billing issues, product problems, service questions and general client concerns. Manages multiple calls at a time.
- Assists with the training and orientation of new staff.
- Registers specimens and orders appropriate tests in Laboratory Information System (LIS) as requested by authorized provider by accurately reading and interpreting orders and being familiar with test mnemonics.
- Actively participate in the laboratory quality plan/program (ex. investigative reports, notification of delays, etc.).
- Resolves service problems by clarifying the customer's complaint; determining the cause of the problem; selecting and explaining the best solution to solve the problem; expediting correction or adjustment; following up to ensure resolution.
- High school diploma or GED
- Typing minimum of 20 wpm.
- Preferred: Two years of previous customer service experience in a healthcare environment preferred. Knowledge of medical and laboratory terminology.
- Working knowledge of basic computer skills and web-based applications
Working Conditions, Equipment, Physical Demands:
There is a reasonable expectation that employees in this position will be exposed to blood-borne pathogens.
Physical Demands -
The physical demands and work environment that have been described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions in accordance with the Americans with Disabilities Act.
The above job description is an overview of the functions and requirements for this position. This document is not intended to be an exhaustive list encompassing every duty and requirement of this position; your supervisor may assign other duties as deemed necessary.