VELCO is pleased to announce the opening of a Telecommunications Network Engineer position. The position may be filed by an Associate to Senior Level Engineer. All applicants are encouraged to apply.
: Manager, Telecom
Pinnacle Ridge Campus, Rutland, VT
The Network Engineer is engaged in the enterprise technical engineering and administrative support, as well as network and project based activities. Working in collaboration with the Telecommunications team and stakeholders, this role develops the design, manage, operate, and maintain VELCO’s telecommunication networks and related interfaces that provide critical communication services to VELCO, Vermont’s distribution utilities, and other related stakeholders.
Complete network design and planning and integration support functions, such as troubleshooting, analysis, research, debugging and problem solving in conjunction with a Network Engineer. Appropriate engagement in the technical activities of a telecommunication systems administration support team, including upgrading and disaster recovery plans.
Education & Training
- Develops a diversified knowledge of carrier class telecommunication engineering practices and standards in system designs and operation.
- Possesses an understanding of telecommunication transport technologies.
- Operates and maintain high capacity optical transport systems, microwave systems, and land mobile radio networks (if applicable).
- Design, manage, and operate complex private packet switched communication networks (CES, IP routing, DNS, Security, VPN, etc.).
- Manage and operate TDM digital cross connect systems in a multivendor environment.
- Has a full understanding of analog and digital voice communications and standards
- Management of a Network Operating Center monitoring TDM, Carrier Ethernet, and proprietary networks using SNMP monitoring tools.
- Actively monitor and conduct trend analysis for telecommunication networks to proactively identify performance issues ensuring highest availability of critical networks.
- Support infrastructure that is relied upon on a 7x24 basis.
- Provide engineering and technical assistance and support to field personnel at radio sites, distribution utilities and substations throughout the State of Vermont; travel required.
- Participates in field assessments as necessary to plan and manage substation and mountain top radio site projects.
- Complete assigned projects within required timeframe.
- Maintains an understanding of mountain top wireless and substation communications practices including grounding, isolation, and protection.
- Collaborate with and support all members of the Telecommunications Group.
- Provide a high level of customer service to internal and external customers
- Other duties as required.
A Bachelor’s degree in information technology, networking, or the combination of an Associate’s Degree in Telecommunications or IT with some experience, is desired. Proficiency planning, designing, implementing and managing carrier class statistical (IP) and TDM networking with consideration of traffic loading and bandwidth allocation is desirable.
Demonstrated experience with network security, firewalling, related protocol analysis and SNMP is desirable. CCNA or CCNP certifications are a plus. This role requires strong written and verbal communication skills and a self-motivated individual willing to work in a fast-paced, innovative and rewarding environment.
The Network Engineer will typically have 2 years’ related experience.
The description above reflects the most specific duties performed but does not exclude the occasional work assignments not mentioned.
Prolonged periods of sitting at a desk and working on a computer. Must be able to maintain fast pace while completing complex, analytical work, in potentially stressful situations, with competing priorities, within tight timelines and with frequent interruptions. Rotating, on-call coverage is required. Must be able to work additional hours when necessary. Periodic travel and overnight stays will be required when attending industry workshops, trainings, etc.
VELCO is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Applicants meeting the above criteria should submit a resume and cover letter to Careers@velco.com or submit an application with resume and cover letter on our website at www.velco.com