We’re searching for a reporter to join The Fresno Bee’s Education Lab and cover early education and K-12 schools.
As an Education Lab reporter, you will be one of two beat reporters on a four-person team. The other reporter covers higher education. Both reporters work closely with an engagement reporter, who helps build new communications channels and facilitates deep outreach through crowdsourcing and in-person gatherings.
The successful candidate will have the skills to build sourcing, break news, produce enterprise content, and build audience loyalty, engagement and growth via a thorough understanding of the metrics that drive them.
The team tells its stories through text and multimedia. Video and audio will accompany most stories, and reporters should show the ability to switch between formats as needed.
The education reporter reports to the Education Lab Editor. Spanish language skills are a significant plus, please denote in your application.
- At least one year of full-time reporting experience, with demonstrated success in accountability or watchdog work
- Strong writing and reporting skills and excellent news judgment
- Commitment to accurate, ethical journalism
- Ability to network and quickly establish sources
- Ability to use social media platforms such as Facebook and Twitter to reach audiences
- Fluency in the science of readership and engagement, including an understanding of how to use analytics such as pageviews, time on site and referral sources to determine which stories resonate
- Ability to tell stories using a variety of tools and platforms, including video
- Experience in learning new skills and technologies, including content management systems, social media platforms, video editing software, Omniture, Parse.ly, and other analytics tools and emerging storytelling platforms
- Strong interpersonal skills, including empathy and the ability to take and give constructive criticism
- Demonstrated ability to work comfortably in a job that will be fast-paced, data-driven, shaped by feedback and experimentation and always evolving